Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Houston  (Read 648 times)

mm1405

• View Profile
Houston
« on: March 05, 2008, 10:17:10 PM »
Need advice. Pros/Cons of Living in Houston... Attending U of H Law School. Any recommendations on where to live? Boyfriend does HVAC and would be required to drive everyday to/from different jobs - not sure if that means getting a place in town or outskirts is better. I've heard Midtown is good, Medical City, Westheimer? Thanks!
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

hs1046

• 163, 3.82
    • View Profile
Re: Houston
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:05:01 AM »
I'm considering going to UH, and I'm mostly looking at midtown.  The location is great, and there are lots of cool bars and restaraunts.  It is a bit pricey though.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:28:04 AM »
people have been discussing location over in a thread titled south texas college of law. 

Commutes in Houston can be a bear, but if he's all over the place, I would live somewhere that's more convenient to you.  The ward around UH does not have a great rep.  Montrose, medical center and the like are far nicer.  If you don't mind commuting up 45, there are a lot of places that are very reasonable at 45 and beltway 8 on the south side.  The heights is another alternative, but then you are starting to get pretty far away.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:30:56 AM »
Need advice. Pros/Cons of Living in Houston... Attending U of H Law School. Any recommendations on where to live? Boyfriend does HVAC and would be required to drive everyday to/from different jobs - not sure if that means getting a place in town or outskirts is better. I've heard Midtown is good, Medical City, Westheimer? Thanks!

I am from Houston, so PM me with any questions you have about the city.  All the parts of town that you listed will be a bit pricey.  Third ward, where UH is located, does have a bad rep, but isn't that bad.  Also, areas around the astrodome and Almeda, very close to the Medical Center might be a good option because they are cheaper and still close to school.
You never know unless you try!

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)
Waitlisted: Emory (W), UT (W), Vandy (W)
Rejected: Harvard

TULANE LAW CLASS OF 2011!!!

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »
I used to live in an apartment just north of the Astrodome, off Fannin, and I would second that area being a good deal.  Also, it's on lightrail, which is nice for getting downtown. 

Has third ward gotten better since the late 90s?  Also, didn't they try to redevelop the north side of downtown?  I thought Olajuwon was buying up a lot of that property.

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:37:20 AM »
I used to live in an apartment just north of the Astrodome, off Fannin, and I would second that area being a good deal.  Also, it's on lightrail, which is nice for getting downtown. 

Has third ward gotten better since the late 90s?  Also, didn't they try to redevelop the north side of downtown?  I thought Olajuwon was buying up a lot of that property.

Third ward is okay, just depends on what side of it you stay in.  The UH side is good, but the TSU side is not all that good.  Downtown is really nice now (because of the all-star game and superbowl),  just pricey.
You never know unless you try!

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)
Waitlisted: Emory (W), UT (W), Vandy (W)
Rejected: Harvard

TULANE LAW CLASS OF 2011!!!

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 11:43:37 AM »
Thanks for info. And the STCL thread is good as well. Does anyone know the typical 1L class schedule? Wondering what times the classes would start/end for rush hour, etc purposes. Thanks again!
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:52:48 AM »
STCL has a bunch of sections, so I think it's a crap shoot.  I saw one set on facebook where classes started at 9something and basically you were done by 230 every day.

thegoodword

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 04:34:29 PM »
The heights is NOT "far away" from UH. Look to medical center, memorial, memorial heights, heights, midtown, and the post oak/galleria area. Basically come down, grab an apartment locator, and get started. Let me recommend archstone medical center and archstone memorial heights. also, bayou park is a favorite too but it's an older complex.

all of the areas listed above require no more than a 15 minute drive. maybe 20 on a bad day.

1Ls will be in class from 9am to 230 or so, with an hour for lunch. On some days you will have classes back to back, on others you will have a break. The schedule is agreeable. Plus, the education is an amazing deal considering other comparable schools in Texas (BU/SMU) charge at least twice as much in tuition/fees.