Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Animal welfare law  (Read 2527 times)

falkies

• View Profile
Animal welfare law
« on: March 05, 2008, 08:54:17 PM »
Anyone know of a school with a good animal welfare program or that at least has classes in the subject?  I know it is a relatively new area of law, but it's what I want to do and so far the only school I know of that has it is Harvard (which I could never get into)

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
Re: Animal welfare law
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 09:00:47 PM »
Also, Penn has a journal of Animal Law and Ethics, so I imagine that they would be okay for it.

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:03:38 PM »
GW has an animal welfare project that has just gotten some recognition.

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Resources/Public+Interest+and+Pro+Bono/Animal+Welfare+Project.htm
GW '11?

whatpenumbras

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 10:02:22 PM »
Lewis & Clark in Portland, OR:
http://www.lclark.edu/dept/lawadmss/ireland.html

Although, I don't know how mush I'd trust the woman who runs it based on some remarks she made to one of the weeklies a few months ago.

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »
Anyone know of a school with a good animal welfare program or that at least has classes in the subject?  I know it is a relatively new area of law, but it's what I want to do and so far the only school I know of that has it is Harvard (which I could never get into)

Duke has a good Animal Law Project

defense

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 10:08:51 AM »
Lewis and Clark is recognized nationally and internationally as the leader in the field of animal law.  If that is what you want to practice then this is the school to choose.  It's home to the only animal law clinic in the country, offers 5 classes in animal law, and employ some of the leading scholars in the field.  Almost every animal law attorney working at national animal protection organizations graduated from Lewis and Clark.  The only school that was close in terms of academics was Rutgers Newark Animal Law Project started by Gary Francione, who is a brilliant animal law scholar.  Michigan State University also offers several animal law initiatives under David Favre, again brilliant.  Nevertheless, Lewis and Clark is the leader. 

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 10:33:46 AM »
Lewis and Clark is recognized nationally and internationally as the leader in the field of animal law.  If that is what you want to practice then this is the school to choose.  It's home to the only animal law clinic in the country, offers 5 classes in animal law, and employ some of the leading scholars in the field.  Almost every animal law attorney working at national animal protection organizations graduated from Lewis and Clark.  The only school that was close in terms of academics was Rutgers Newark Animal Law Project started by Gary Francione, who is a brilliant animal law scholar.  Michigan State University also offers several animal law initiatives under David Favre, again brilliant.  Nevertheless, Lewis and Clark is the leader. 

Francione is definitely brilliant. His blog: http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/

Rutgers no longer has an animal law clinic, but there isn't much for an animal law clinic to do because legally, animals are property and you can't really make a case on their behalf (not that I agree with this)--do you want to practice animal law? or just have the option to study it some?
CLS 2011

falkies

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:37:02 AM »
I would like to practice animal law, but with the status of pets as property, I would focus more on endangered species and/or marine animals.  I would like to eventually work for the Animal Legal Defense Fund or World Wildlife Fund or something of that sort.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 12:39:35 PM »
Go to a school that offers you a full ride or one with a generous LRAP

Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 12:48:53 PM »
Chicago has a "Chicago Project on Animal Treatment Issues," according to their mailer.