Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Would you choose to enroll in a school that did not award actual grades in during your 1L year, but rather offered a Proficienct/Not-Proficient standard?

Yes, that sounds fine.
 14 (51.9%)
Yes, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it.
 3 (11.1%)
No, that seems unecessary.
 2 (7.4%)
What? That's just freaking crazy and a stupid ploy design to trap students at a Tier 4 school.
 7 (25.9%)
Who cares; it's not important.
 1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: March 19, 2008, 04:52:58 PM

Author Topic: Choosing a School with no Grades  (Read 993 times)

byzantm

• Bowr?!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Choosing a School with no Grades
« on: March 05, 2008, 03:52:58 PM »
So, a certain unnamed school has changed its grading scheme to Proficient/Non-Proficient (Pass/Fail) and they think they will be able to keep students from transferring after their first year. What do you think of this?
"The great thing about people thinking you're an imbecile is that their less suspicious of you." - FW&aF

premieraw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing a School with no Grades
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:57:39 PM »
So, a certain unnamed school has changed its grading scheme to Proficient/Non-Proficient (Pass/Fail) and they think they will be able to keep students from transferring after their first year. What do you think of this?

What school, and how does this affect job competition?
1L...wait, really?

Whoaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:02:38 PM »
One thing if you are talking about Boalt vs. Northeastern (both don't have traditional grades, but on opposite ends of spectrum)

pulvillus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:42:28 AM »
One thing if you are talking about Boalt vs. Northeastern (both don't have traditional grades, but on opposite ends of spectrum)

I know Berkley does this, and I think HLS or Yale does two, though I might be mistaken about the latter two. My point however is, I'd have no problem going to Yale or Harvard.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 12:38:27 PM »
If the school is Yale or Boalt, then the no grades is a boon. The entire class at either has good job prospects.

At a T4 it's suicide. There is now a close to 0% chance of any graduate getting a job at a big firm/ Gov Honors program/ fed clerkship. A gradeless system favors the bottom and middle of the class. Thats fine if the bottom and middle are in good shape due to the prestige of the school. If the median student is unemployed after graduation, then going gradeless is a way to ensure that even the top students are unemployed (because nobody can tell they are top students).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »
Doesn't NESL use funny grading?  Surprisingly, their placement isn't horrible compared to their peers - so I have no idea what's going on at that school.

Yale / Boalt = no grades/fun times

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 03:18:09 AM »
Is it true that Buffalo doesn't have GPA or rank?  I read this in the Princeton Review write up.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 08:41:03 AM »
Doesn't NESL use funny grading?  Surprisingly, their placement isn't horrible compared to their peers - so I have no idea what's going on at that school.

Yale / Boalt = no grades/fun times

Its because most of the grads get jobs from the coops theyve worked ~1 1/3 years at already.

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 01:03:10 PM »
As others have suggested:  At a well-regarded school, this isn't a problem and will probably help you.  Knowing that everyone at Yale and Boalt are relatively smart, employers and the like won't feel like they're taking a chance on a student with no grades.  But at a school that isn't well-regarded, employers who would normally take only the top ten percent might not take anyone, since they can't tell the 10% they're interested in from the 90% they're not.  Of course, it is also harder to transfer.

It depends on the school, but if it isn't a top school, I'd want grades.