Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kansas VS Akron with a full-tuition scholarship  (Read 776 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas VS Akron with a full-tuition scholarship
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 02:36:40 PM »
Kansas costs just over $19,000.  Akron boasts that they have an amazing litigation program.  Do you think that makes much of a difference?  I have a few friends in law school and they all tell me that reputation gets you a job much faster than the quality of your education.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »
That's true.  Akron's litigation program is ranked in the Top 20 in the Nation by US news.  Does that make a difference? Or is the schools overall ranking what matters?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 02:48:44 PM »
That's true.  Akron's litigation program is ranked in the top 20 by US news.  I'm just curious if that makes any difference to employers.
I just spoke with admissions at Akron and they said the renewal rate on their full-tuition scholarships is only 10%.  Ouch.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 02:48:59 PM »
Kansas costs just over $19,000.  Akron boasts that they have an amazing litigation program.  Do you think that makes much of a difference?  I have a few friends in law school and they all tell me that reputation gets you a job much faster than the quality of your education.

An amazing program in X is not the reputation they are talking about.  Reputation means overall prestige of the school in the eye's of your potential employers.  As stated in this thread already, KU is towards the top of at least one mid-sized legal market while Akron is nowhere near the same for its region.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 02:52:12 PM »
I guess the true question then is where I want to live after I graduate.  If I want to live in Kansas City after I graduate then KU might give me a lot of opportunities.

jbakguy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »
Have you asked Kansas about getting in-State tuition rates??  I was accepted to Washburn (in Topeka) and they give in-state tuition rates after 6 months.  That could dramatically affect your total cost.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 03:10:03 PM »
I haven't talked to them about that, but on their website it says that I need to prove that my purpose for moving to Kansas is something other than Education.  My wife will be working full-time and paying kansas state taxes.  Hopefully that will help.