Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple vs Northeastern vs American vs (maybe) Davis  (Read 681 times)

SouVitor

• View Profile
    • Email
Temple vs Northeastern vs American vs (maybe) Davis
« on: March 04, 2008, 07:58:34 PM »
I got into those three schools and from the rest, UC Davis is the other school high on my list.  I am interested in public service positions, particularly in criminal, immigration and international law, but I want to keep my options open (I also have an unexplained interest in taxation).  I'd like to study in a school that is strong in their region and offers practical experience. 

Temple - They gave me a full tuition scholarship that, if I keep it, I would have more freedom when choosing a job.  I love that they are in a big city, but I have never been in Philadelphia and don't know the city.  They also have a strong litigation and writing program, which for me, are very appealing.

Northeastern - I've worked with Northeastern graduates and can see firsthand that the school produces attorneys with practical experience.  I like the opportunities that the coop program can bring the students but I do not like the fact that every three months, I would start a new job search and have to find housing if I get a coop out of Boston.  I also love that the school has a strong focus on public interest but am afraid that Northeastern's strong focus on public interst could close doors should I decide to go a different route. 

American - At one point, it was my top choice but it is very pricey.  The other schools have given me a scholarship but I have heard nothing on that regard from American.  However, American is strong in international law, particularly with Latin America.  I've focused on this region at work and at college and would love to also pursue it in law school. 

(maybe) Davis - Ok, I have not gotten into Davis yet (they take too darn long to review an application).  Davis seems to have some good clinics (particularly the immigration clinic).  Also, the school seems to be pretty laid back and could open doors to more jobs than the other schools.  I am not a California resident but I would make arrangements to become a resident after 1L.

Which school should I choose if I get into Davis?  If I do not get into Davis, which school should I choose?  Opinions? 

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
Re: Temple vs Northeastern vs American vs (maybe) Davis
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 08:00:07 PM »
I think AU would be a good fit.. they are very PI oriented but I have friends who have also gotten into BigLaw. Did you apply for the PIPS Scholarship?
GW '11?

SouVitor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »
I think AU would be a good fit.. they are very PI oriented but I have friends who have also gotten into BigLaw. Did you apply for the PIPS Scholarship?

No, I did not apply for the PIPS.  Wish I did but at the time, I thought I would not get it.  Oh well.

SouVitor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »
any other opinions??

rouge23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 12:49:30 AM »
I'm in a smilar position...

Full scholarship at Temple, WL at American (so basing this on if I were to get in off the WL) and in at Univ. of Miami without scholarship.

Negative to Temple is the surrounding neighborhood it's located in -- lots of crime, shootings, dangerous, etc. I don't want to sound so negative, I have heard from students at Temple UG and others who have visited that the campus is nice and safe, just the surrounding neighborhood. Also heard from another LSD poster that there was a shooting at the subway stop a few blocks from the law school when he was there visiting recently. Yikes!!!
Also, placement is very well in Philly but outside of Philly, as in D.C., I don't think it is that well at all. More difficult to get the kind of opportunities it seems you would want in D.C.

American- very expensive, and within D.C. it comes third after GULC and GW. However, American is strong in international law and PI and its location in D.C. is a major plus to networking if you want to stay in D.C. to work.

So, as you can see, I myself don't know either!
I guess I would try do some research into job placement coming out of both (depending on where you want to work), since that's the major factor aside from money.

If anyone else has comments on Temple free v. American $$$ expensive please share!

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:26:03 AM »
I got into those three schools and from the rest, UC Davis is the other school high on my list.  I am interested in public service positions, particularly in criminal, immigration and international law, but I want to keep my options open (I also have an unexplained interest in taxation).  I'd like to study in a school that is strong in their region and offers practical experience. 

Temple - They gave me a full tuition scholarship that, if I keep it, I would have more freedom when choosing a job.  I love that they are in a big city, but I have never been in Philadelphia and don't know the city.  They also have a strong litigation and writing program, which for me, are very appealing.

Northeastern - I've worked with Northeastern graduates and can see firsthand that the school produces attorneys with practical experience.  I like the opportunities that the coop program can bring the students but I do not like the fact that every three months, I would start a new job search and have to find housing if I get a coop out of Boston.  I also love that the school has a strong focus on public interest but am afraid that Northeastern's strong focus on public interst could close doors should I decide to go a different route. 

American - At one point, it was my top choice but it is very pricey.  The other schools have given me a scholarship but I have heard nothing on that regard from American.  However, American is strong in international law, particularly with Latin America.  I've focused on this region at work and at college and would love to also pursue it in law school. 

(maybe) Davis - Ok, I have not gotten into Davis yet (they take too darn long to review an application).  Davis seems to have some good clinics (particularly the immigration clinic).  Also, the school seems to be pretty laid back and could open doors to more jobs than the other schools.  I am not a California resident but I would make arrangements to become a resident after 1L.

Which school should I choose if I get into Davis?  If I do not get into Davis, which school should I choose?  Opinions? 

Considering you are interested in public service or criminal law, I think you should choose Temple. Finishing with no debt makes public interest law a much more practical option. In addition, Temple has a very good record of producing criminal attorneys in Philly.

The choice would be tougher if you got into Davis.