Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW with no money vs. Scholarships elsewhere  (Read 3231 times)

Steelers36

• View Profile
GW with no money vs. Scholarships elsewhere
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:14:02 PM »
Hi all-

I am obsessing pretty much constantly over law school at this point, as I am sure many of us are, and am just not getting the kind of answers I want from my parents who don't understand the app process or legal job market, S.O. with loaded parents, etc., so I would really appreciate any help you can give.

I am currently living in DC and love it here. I am in at GW and will probably not get any money, in at Mason with $35,000 (contingent on GPA), and in at W&M with $45,000 contingent on GPA. My gut says to go to GW, even if I have to take out tons of loans, since I want to work in BigLaw, but I am getting a ton of to take one of the scholarships. What would you do?

Steelers36

• View Profile
Re: GW with no money vs. Scholarships elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 07:01:18 PM »
Over three. And it depends on being in the top 25% of the class. Thanks for any help you can provide!

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 07:06:23 PM »
Over three. And it depends on being in the top 25% of the class. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ouch.  I'd say that makes GW your best bet, but it's just my opinion.

Steelers36

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:07:18 PM »
I want to do international law (not sure what specifically) in DC or NY (where my family lives). I am just worried about graduating with all that debt and ending up jobless..

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:16:13 PM »
tag...b/c i am in a similar situation. gw w/no money vs. scholarships at a few other places (w&l, gmu, w&m, bc). i love gw (did my undergrad there) and want to be in dc post-grad, so it seems like a no brainer...but i don't want to blow off $$ without seriously exploring all the options.

Steelers36

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »
I feel the same way about blowing off the money, especially at W&M. Don't know if I'd like being in Williamsburg though...

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
I also live in DC and am also wary about picking up and moving to a small city/town. However, I did visit W&M/Williamsburg in January and REALY loved it. That being said, I was only there for 3 days...kind of unsure if I could handle it for 3 years.

Re: the $$ issue, I'm definitely interested in "biglaw" but am worry about putting all my eggs in one basket - i.e., take out a ton of loans --> must take biglaw job --> must do very very well to have chance at biglaw job. part of me thinks it is worth it (to go to gw w/no money) but part of me thinks i need to seriously factor in the financial aspect. i'm tired of half the people i talk to telling me "don't even consider the $ issue, just take out the loans, go to gw". if it were THAT easy i would have already made my decision! also, my family is really into the "we know you'll make the right decision" which is NOT helpful!

GW has a very well-respected/highly-ranked international law program, I think?

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 07:55:21 PM »
tag- similar situation with similar scholarships. sydney, do you think there is any chance that GW might pull through with some money, or do you think that most of it has already been doled out in the Presidential Merit Scholarships?
GW '11?

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 08:18:10 PM »
tag- similar situation with similar scholarships. sydney, do you think there is any chance that GW might pull through with some money, or do you think that most of it has already been doled out in the Presidential Merit Scholarships?

nicole - i read elsewhere on lsd that last week's round of $20k/year scholarships was just the first round, and that gw would be sending more out, possibly smaller monetary amounts. also, i've already seen on lsn that some ppl who rec'd the scholarship have withdrawn...so i guess there is hope? there was also that e-mail yesterday about them starting to send out need-based scholarships...so that might be another possible source of gw $$?

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »
Yeah.. someone in admissions told me it was the first round actually, but I don't know if that is just the stock answer that they give people. The waiting is driving me nuts!  :-[

GW '11?