Law School Discussion

Best Post-Acceptance Sales Pitch

Best Post-Acceptance Sales Pitch
« on: March 04, 2008, 02:28:30 PM »
For those of us who are choosing between a couple different schools, has anyone been impressed by the recruitment efforts of a particular school? 

I'll go ahead and nominate Michigan.  The infamous DVD combined with some nice emails from Dean Z. really helped them jump up my shortlist.  Dean Andy at Georgetown also sends some enjoyable correspondence, and I like the design of the accepted students website.

Any other favorites?

Re: Best Post-Acceptance Sales Pitch
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 02:35:25 PM »
I am very pleased with Vanderbilt in general. They are just a little bit faster and more to the point than everyone else (not that I am complaining about my other prospects). What might be unusual about me though is that instead of getting my inbox flooded, I only want to hear from schools when something important is coming up, i.e. an acceptance/rejection, scholarship, deposit deadline, etc.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 02:46:56 PM »
I am very pleased with Vanderbilt in general. They are just a little bit faster and more to the point than everyone else (not that I am complaining about my other prospects). What might be unusual about me though is that instead of getting my inbox flooded, I only want to hear from schools when something important is coming up, i.e. an acceptance/rejection, scholarship, deposit deadline, etc.

Yeah, I think law schools might underestimate the importance of being quick with decisions and good with the follow-through.  At some schools (cough..Cornell..cough) it seems like it takes so long to get a decision that I found my interest sort of waining.  I had already mentally moved on to other schools.  And I agree with you about not having a flooded inbox.

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »
Ditto on the Cornell wane. Compounded by the extremely long time it took for my file to be complete.

Cornell adcomms, if you are reading this, get back to work. There are like 8 billion applications to review.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »
While Cornell may be slow for pending students, Cornell's post-acceptance recruitment is sweet. I get more mail from them than any other school. They even sent me an email and a card on my birthday.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 03:37:41 PM »
While Cornell may be slow for pending students, Cornell's post-acceptance recruitment is sweet. I get more mail from them than any other school. They even sent me an email and a card on my birthday.

That would certainly make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.....Still the "flooding my inbox" problem

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 03:40:59 PM »
TULANE!  They give great postcards (about food and weather and the school of course), AND they send emails about outside scholarship opportunities!  They are great!  Their admissions team always emails me back immediately, which is also great!

Washington University in St. Louis, because they too have been doing a great job of responding back expediently!

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »
TULANE!  They give great postcards (about food and weather and the school of course), AND they send emails about outside scholarship opportunities!  They are great!  Their admissions team always emails me back immediately, which is also great!

Washington University in St. Louis, because they too have been doing a great job of responding back expediently!

Wow, that's really impressive.  I could definitely use a few more of those sorts of emails in my inbox.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 04:34:35 PM »
Ditto to Michigan; lots of materials, an appropriate number of phone calls, and tons of e-mails plus a comprehensive admitted student site to answer questions.

Also, Stanford has sent me something basically every other day since I've been admitted; their materials are top-notch: thorough and beautiful. I have to admit they weren't a top contender for me before for a number of reasons, and now I can't wait to visit.

The most aggressive has been Harvard. A bazillion e-mails, a handful of phone calls (from the dean, and now faculty members who do things related to an area of interest of mine).

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »
Ditto to Michigan; lots of materials, an appropriate number of phone calls, and tons of e-mails plus a comprehensive admitted student site to answer questions.

Also, Stanford has sent me something basically every other day since I've been admitted; their materials are top-notch: thorough and beautiful. I have to admit they weren't a top contender for me before for a number of reasons, and now I can't wait to visit.

The most aggressive has been Harvard. A bazillion e-mails, a handful of phone calls (from the dean, and now faculty members who do things related to an area of interest of mine).

Harvard has been really interesting.  I think giving the admitted students email address is maybe the best recruitment move I've seen.  It's an opportunity to feel like I'm part of the school before I've even set foot on the campus.  My experience hasn't been as hardcore as Rabbit's, but I'm not in at Yale or Stanford, so it seems like how hard they come after you depends on how good they think your other options might be.