Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waiting on Tier 1  (Read 950 times)

camarogirlj

• View Profile
    • Email
Waiting on Tier 1
« on: March 04, 2008, 02:47:06 PM »
I've been in at tier 2 schools with $$$ for awhile now.  I'm waiting to hear from IU-B and American in Tier 1 and was wondering when I could hear something?  I've been complete at both since early January when my new LSAT score came in. 

I know I'm right at American's average numbers and that IU-B is a bit of a long shot, but I wonder whether or not I still have a good chance.  What do you make of things?  Shouldn't they have rejected or waitlisted me at least by now? 

Anyone else in this situation?  The only reason it matters is I've visited all the other schools and want to know whether or not tier 1 is going to be an option...

camarogirlj

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waiting on Tier 1
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:21:29 PM »
You're just going to have to wait like everyone else... sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

People are waiting for bigger questions to be answered.

No need to get bitchy, if you think my question is too "small" for you then don't reply. 

I was simply wondering if anyone who perhaps had been through this process before had a clue as to when most people who are middle of the road (not just me) would hear?  I have to make a decision on a full-ride scholarship by April 1st so I just wondered if it is likely whether or not I'll hear from tier 1 by then?

OlderandWiser

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not creepy, it's kittens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
I've been in at tier 2 schools with $$$ for awhile now.  I'm waiting to hear from IU-B and American in Tier 1 and was wondering when I could hear something?  I've been complete at both since early January when my new LSAT score came in. 

I know I'm right at American's average numbers and that IU-B is a bit of a long shot, but I wonder whether or not I still have a good chance.  What do you make of things?  Shouldn't they have rejected or waitlisted me at least by now? 

Anyone else in this situation?  The only reason it matters is I've visited all the other schools and want to know whether or not tier 1 is going to be an option...

I can't speak about American, but I do know that IU-B has been a bit slow across the board.  If you check out LSN they have only sent out decisions to a relatively small percentage of folks compared to the number who are still pending.  their webpage says that most decisions don't even start till February.  Whether that means good or bad news is coming, well, I can't really say.  But I hope it gives you a little encouragement that quite a few people are still waiting on IU-B (me included). 
University of Washington 2011

camarogirlj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:39:23 PM »
Thanks Older and Wiser...I'm just going a bit nuts waiting on them.  I just hope that the wait concludes with a great acceptance (for both of us!)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:42:56 PM »
I can't think of many T2 full scholarships that you should pass up to attend American...

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 06:44:20 PM »
Thanks Older and Wiser...I'm just going a bit nuts waiting on them.  I just hope that the wait concludes with a great acceptance (for both of us!)
Camarogirlj,

I received an email from IU-B explaining the delay issue.
I will post it here for your consideration. It should clear things up.
By the way, you shouldn't feel bad at all for 2 reasons:
1.) Many people(including myself) have been complete since October and not heard back. I'm planning to withdraw, but that's besides the point.
2.) If you send updates (LSAT, LOR, Addenda, etc...) to a school, they put your file in the back of the line for a thorough review.

The Letter

We expect to have an admission decision for you no later than April 15.

This year is one of the most competitive in the history of the School of Law. As a result, the Committee is engaged in more extensive review and deliberation of each application than has been normal in past years. Inevitably, this scrutiny has led to a delay in publishing admissions decisions.

The Committee thanks you for your patience.

Feel free to call or send an email anytime.

Best,

Abby

Abby H. Yankovich

Director of Admissions Operations

Indiana University School of Law

camarogirlj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:32:39 AM »
I can't think of many T2 full scholarships that you should pass up to attend American...

Yeah, I'm withdrawing from American soon--I have no intention of going to DC anymore!  However dumb it may be, I am pretty sure I'm passing up the full scholarship to Toledo to attend another tier 2.  I was not impressed with the school at all. 
Camarogirlj,

I received an email from IU-B explaining the delay issue.
I will post it here for your consideration. It should clear things up.
By the way, you shouldn't feel bad at all for 2 reasons:
1.) Many people(including myself) have been complete since October and not heard back. I'm planning to withdraw, but that's besides the point.
2.) If you send updates (LSAT, LOR, Addenda, etc...) to a school, they put your file in the back of the line for a thorough review.

The Letter

We expect to have an admission decision for you no later than April 15.

This year is one of the most competitive in the history of the School of Law. As a result, the Committee is engaged in more extensive review and deliberation of each application than has been normal in past years. Inevitably, this scrutiny has led to a delay in publishing admissions decisions.

The Committee thanks you for your patience.

Feel free to call or send an email anytime.

Best,

Abby

Abby H. Yankovich

Director of Admissions Operations

Indiana University School of Law

Thanks for the update!  It probably doesn't bode well for a candidate like me that it is so competitive this year.  I hope the decisions come in before April 15th because I have other scholarship offers that leave on the 1st!

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:37:58 AM »

TITCR, above the top 30 or so, you gotta focus on region and where the alumni are. 

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 12:37:22 PM »
You're just going to have to wait like everyone else... sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

People are waiting for bigger questions to be answered.

Bigger questions? That was pretty lame. I agree with OP, don't reply if it isn't worth your time.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
Anyway, I am waiting for my T1 response also, while I have been accepted w/$ at T2. Hopefully we hear soon.
Paid the seat deposit at DU