Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: suggestions -- HELP!  (Read 857 times)

initiator

• View Profile
suggestions -- HELP!
« on: October 03, 2004, 09:57:29 PM »
hi all,

well, I recently graduated from university with a low GPA (2-2.5 range). However there were many contributing factors to that which I have documented proof for. First of all my Dad's business plunged when I was in 1st year of university and almost instantaneously we went from living in a mansion to apartment. then my mother got diagnosed with cancer which added to the familial problems. i had to work almost fulltime all along my undergrad years, and couldn't perform well in school at all. Recently, I started seeing a psychiatrist as I was becoming increasingly worried for my performance in school, work and other areas of life. I was told that I was suffering from major depressive disorder, and that too for the last 4 years (almost all along my undergrad). Now I am on anti-depressants, doing better lately and thinking of putting the shattered pieces of my life back together. i went to one of the top 10 undergrad schools in North America, and was awarded entrance scholarship for excellent high school grades.

I am planning on writing LSATs soon, and am hoping to perform well. I do want to get into a law school, but I think I lack the experience (no internships, voluntary experience) and the academic credentials to get into a law school. IS there still any hope for me? how should I tackle this situation? any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

many thanks

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
Re: suggestions -- HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 10:03:33 PM »
What you don't have, you can supplement with your other activities.  If you do well on your lsat, you can increase your chances at law school.  While you might be at a disadvantage with someone with a higher ugpa than you, you shouldn't worry to much about it.  Concentrate on your lsat score.  I have a ugpa of 2.7, did extremely well in HS, and hit a brick wall in college, which I was never able to climb over.  Hope everythint works out for you.  Keep looking at the brighter side.   
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

initiator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 10:36:38 PM »
thank you Casper.

to add little bit more, I had an entrance scholarship to an Ivy league school, graduated with a degree in math, and received faculty honors (top 5%) in the first year of university. After the first year things went pretty bad.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 11:01:56 PM »
did you finish your major in Math?  You should have a better advantage in analyical reasoning, etc.  on the lsat.  I'm a math nut too.  Love ordinary differential calculus, but dont understand a thing in PDEs. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

initiator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 11:37:04 PM »
yep, I graduated with a math degree and that's the reason I am hoping to do better on the LSATs. Good luck for the admission.

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 02:55:56 PM »
You'll be fine. You're apparently good at standardized tests, so just crank on the LSAT.  Let me know if you want any tips.

Also, if it was needed, couldn't you go back for a couple years and get another degree?  Then you could rack up good grades during that time.
T25 or bust