Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Levy Scholarship at Penn vs. HLS?  (Read 855 times)

steamboat

• View Profile
    • Email
Levy Scholarship at Penn vs. HLS?
« on: March 04, 2008, 04:01:13 AM »
I feel lucky to have this choice but it is a very difficult decision for me:

Choice: Levy Scholarship at Penn (guaranteed ~3/4 tuition for 3-year period, faculty mentor, alumnus mentor,etc.) vs. HLS (no grant money, all loans)?

Other Info/Assumptions: rejected at Yale, Stanford

Primary Goals: Want to practice biglaw (corporate/M&A) in SF/LA/Chicago and possibly eventually start/own my own business or earn money through investments (REstate, stocks/options, or something entreprenuerial).

Background: undergrad degree at expensive (but not super-elite) private school; 70k in debt from undergrad and no family help to pay off this debt.  Degree in economics w/ some business knowledge b/c of one year management consulting.

Penn Pros: Levy program (individualized attention from faculty and alumni), cheaper (compared to Harvard save ~110k in tuition; also save some $ every year compared to COL in Cambridge), opportunity to apply to Wharton for JD/MBA (maybe I'll get in but maybe not since I only have 1 year work experience).  Cost of JD/MBA with Levy factored in--if admitted to program--roughly equivalent to cost of Harvard JD. (Would Penn JD/MBA be better than Harvard JD for my goals?  I think Harvard JD/MBA would be too expensive.)   

Harvard Pros: international name recognition, lay prestige (helpful for maybe starting my own business in future??), prefer Boston to Philly, better professors (maybe only slightly better??? maybe not?). 

I would love to hear some opinions.  I am glad to have recently found this board--I've been reading for a little while.  Thanks in advance!

und3r3stimat3d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Levy Scholarship at Penn vs. HLS?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »
I feel lucky to have this choice but it is a very difficult decision for me:

Choice: Levy Scholarship at Penn (guaranteed ~3/4 tuition for 3-year period, faculty mentor, alumnus mentor,etc.) vs. HLS (no grant money, all loans)?

Other Info/Assumptions: rejected at Yale, Stanford

Primary Goals: Want to practice biglaw (corporate/M&A) in SF/LA/Chicago and possibly eventually start/own my own business or earn money through investments (REstate, stocks/options, or something entreprenuerial).

Background: undergrad degree at expensive (but not super-elite) private school; 70k in debt from undergrad and no family help to pay off this debt.  Degree in economics w/ some business knowledge b/c of one year management consulting.

Penn Pros: Levy program (individualized attention from faculty and alumni), cheaper (compared to Harvard save ~110k in tuition; also save some $ every year compared to COL in Cambridge), opportunity to apply to Wharton for JD/MBA (maybe I'll get in but maybe not since I only have 1 year work experience).  Cost of JD/MBA with Levy factored in--if admitted to program--roughly equivalent to cost of Harvard JD. (Would Penn JD/MBA be better than Harvard JD for my goals?  I think Harvard JD/MBA would be too expensive.)   

Harvard Pros: international name recognition, lay prestige (helpful for maybe starting my own business in future??), prefer Boston to Philly, better professors (maybe only slightly better??? maybe not?). 

I would love to hear some opinions.  I am glad to have recently found this board--I've been reading for a little while.  Thanks in advance!

bumping this because i'm curious

newtothis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »
yep.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=newtothis
Updated with $$ offers
Stats are now unfudged

LifesaBitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:53:51 PM »
Honestly, unless you plan on a political/academic future, take Penn and its scholarship offer.

Since your interest is in BigLaw, you can do everything you want to do with a degree from Penn.  Sure Harvard is more name-brand, but that wouldn't matter unless you have political/academic ambitions.
Northwestern - Class of 2011!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:58:59 PM »
Honestly, unless you plan on a political/academic future, take Penn and its scholarship offer.

Since your interest is in BigLaw, you can do everything you want to do with a degree from Penn.  Sure Harvard is more name-brand, but that wouldn't matter unless you have political/academic ambitions.

On the other hand, there are Penn graduates that do not get market.  (I'm sure very few of them got the Levy, but still)

If I was OP, I would go to Penn if I could get Wharton, and Harvard if I couldn't.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 12:49:44 AM »
Can you get any need-based aid (apart from loans) from Harvard?
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.