Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will Going to Law School PART TIME have an adverse affect on career prospects?  (Read 3570 times)

czarevich

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What if you don't work as a PT student? 

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Then I would avoid letting potential employers know you are one (unless you have a good excuse).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

skinsfan123

• View Profile
What about transferring into full-time from part-time after one semester or one year? How would the employer know you were ever a part-time student unless they ask for transcripts?

Does being a PT student for your first year adversely affect your ability to be involved with student organizations? Don't most people join organizations in their second year?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
That's going to depend on your school. I can only answer GULC questions really.

It is almost impossible to join student organizations at GULC because most groups have meetings when you are in class. I frankly didn't have the energy even if they were not during class.

At gulc, you can only transfer after a full year (not one semester)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Shellby117

• View Profile
No, it won't have an adverse affect on carear prospects, I've been doing it for three years. If anything its helped me land some great internships/jobs becuase I have time to network and work PT during the day. I was FT and switched to PT, for me smartest thing I ever did.

I will be starting the PT program this Fall at SLU. I will also be working a full time, 9-5, Monday-Friday job. I'm starting to get a little concerned about summer work since I'll still be working in the summer plus taking 2 classes (so I can finish in 4 years instead of 5). What do the other PT people at your school who work full time do about getting legal experience during the summer??
"No one lays on his deathbed wishing he had spent more time at the office"

tennis19

• View Profile
If anything, I think going PT can help job prospects.

My experience is that nobody holds PT status against you, but your job experience can only work for you.

From what I've heard, there are no substantial differences for PT vs. FT regarding job prospects after graduation. The degree does not distinguish and the transcript would only give it away because there would be fewer classes during the fall and winter semesters and more classes during the summer when compared to a transcript from a FT program.

I suspect it would be MUCH easier to get work experience in a PT program because you can apply during the fall, winter, and summer instead of just the summer. 

Perhaps it's slightly easier to get admitted into a PT program than a FT time, but if you have no shot of getting into school x, you're not going to sneak into the FT program. If your grades are reasonable, I can't imagine it having any substantiative impact on job prospects.

Finally, I don't really think you need to have an air tight reason for doing PT or an explanation for not working during the day - don't PT students need to study and read too?

Nande

• View Profile
No one I've talked to has said it does.  I think it depends on the school and what job you are thinking of.  Again, I think the best would be to ask the people who you know have gone through or who are going part-time right now at your school(s) of interest. As Matthies said earlier, he switched to PT after being FT and that has suited him well as far as internship and networking, which I've heard quite a few say. 
stuffblackpeoplehate:
"I'm angrier than John McCain on MLK day"

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm going to tell myself it is a numbers game- the grades are what matters.

For me the real decision comes after 1L- switch to full-time program v. continue to build work experience during the day...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament