Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Utah or Oregon?  (Read 765 times)

Dwight Shrute

• View Profile
Utah or Oregon?
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »
I am still waiting to hear from Davis and ASU...

In the mean time my top two choices are Utah and Oregon.

Utah Pros: 1) I could qualify for in-state tuition (~$13k).  That is a really good deal.  2) My wife has a good paying job at a PR firm in Salt Lake.  3) I have lots of family and friends in Utah. 4) Utah is ranked higher than Oregon in UNSWR (57 vs. 82). 

Oregon Pros: 1) I would rather live in Oregon than in Utah.  2) Nice new law school building.  3) I like Oregon sports better than Utah sports. 4) Change of scenery. 

Utah Cons: 1) Snow  2) OLD, unattractive law building (in fact they are going to build a new one, which won't be finished until after I have graduated).  I don't know what the added inconvenience of the construction for the next 3 years will be like.  Hopefully it would be mild. 

Oregon Cons: 1) Out of state tuition is $24+k, and in-state is $19+k (not a big difference which is disappointing, considering many schools allow students to gain residency status after their first year).  2) Ranked significantly lower than Oregon (again 82 vs. 57).  3) We would have to move and moving isn't fun. 

Curveball:  Which school would allow for better job prospects in California? 

Added thought: If I had to stay in the state where I attended school, I think I would choose Oregon over Utah.

Final thought: I am planning on doing all of my summer internships with DA offices in California-I have family all over that I could stay with, so I wouldn't have to pay rent.  I'm not sure how it works, but if I was accepted for an internship with one county, I would probably go back to that same county the next summer.  I don't know if that is how it is supposed to be done (I guess I will find out for sure in law school), but I would assume that would be the best way for getting yourself hired on after graduating. 

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Utah or Oregon?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 02:48:43 AM »
You would not gain residency status in Oregon until your 3rd year at the earliest... and you have to move there soon to even have a chance at that.

I would also consider the job prospects for your wife in Eugene.

Do you have a "in" for getting the DA internship in California?

Hannibal

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love it when a plan comes together
    • View Profile
Re: Utah or Oregon?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 10:30:43 PM »
My brother-in-law made this same choice and had pretty much the same pros/cons list you have.  He picked Oregon over Davis and Utah and has regretted it ever since.  He was on law review, graduated in the top half of his class, and was unable to find a job in law.  After about six months, he went to work in Southern CA for a bank and isn't even using his JD.  "Double the tuition and half the job prospects," is how he describes his choice between Utah and Oregon in hindsight.

Don't pick a law school based on athletics.  With the satellite options available now you can watch any team, in any conference you like from anywhere in the country.  Besides, Utah will have a better football season than Oregon next year.

Eugene is not really Oregon;  it is a hippie enclave.  I would definitely visit before you decide you want to live there.

Attending: Stanford
In: Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Chicago($$$), Berkeley, Michigan($$$$), Columbia($$$$), Penn($$$$), Virginia($$$$), Duke($$$$), Northwestern($$$$)