Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: California Western  (Read 766 times)

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
California Western
« on: March 03, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »
Anyone hear anything about California Western Law (San Diego, CA). I want to someday be placed in that job market, I was wondering if going there meant an easier transfer to top schools in California or if it could stand on its own two feet in the job market.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: California Western
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 01:43:10 AM »
i have a friend at CA Western who affirms this is more or less true.  She is top 10% and has a decent clerkship lined up post-graduation. She was there on full tuition scholarship though, I would seriously reconsider if you are not there on full tuition.
Tulane Class of 2011

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 01:44:48 AM »
i have a friend at CA Western who affirms this is more or less true.  She is top 10% and has a decent clerkship lined up post-graduation. She was there on full tuition scholarship though, I would seriously reconsider if you are not there on full tuition.

I have not applied, I was just asking, trying to find out some background information.

I plan to work my ass off in law school, so the whole top 1/3rd of your class at some institutions to transfer to other schools does not scare me. The LSAT scared me, haha, I'm better at actual school.

Thanks for the info guys/gals.

gobigredgo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:08:37 AM »
I don't know much about transferring out of Cal Western but I do know a guy who graduated from there and he is doing pretty good. He has his own ~5 man firm and has millionaire clients. Other than that, I do not know any other Cal Western grads. I'm not saying all Cal Western grads will end up like this. I'm only saying it is possible to make it big from anywhere.

Davis1L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:32:25 AM »

I have not applied, I was just asking, trying to find out some background information.

I plan to work my ass off in law school, so the whole top 1/3rd of your class at some institutions to transfer to other schools does not scare me. The LSAT scared me, haha, I'm better at actual school.

That's all fine and dandy that you want to work really hard at school and try to transfer, but I wouldn't necessarily pin all of your hopes on that. Law School grading is notoriously subjective and arbitrary, so it's extremely difficult to project how you will do.

That being said, you should attend a school that you will be happy graduating from. If you can transfer out, that's awesome and there's no problems. On the 66.6% chance that you end up staying at your school though (you only have a 33.3% chance of being in the top 1/3, after all =D), you should at least be happy with where you're graduating from.

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »

That's all fine and dandy that you want to work really hard at school and try to transfer, but I wouldn't necessarily pin all of your hopes on that. Law School grading is notoriously subjective and arbitrary, so it's extremely difficult to project how you will do.

That being said, you should attend a school that you will be happy graduating from. If you can transfer out, that's awesome and there's no problems. On the 66.6% chance that you end up staying at your school though (you only have a 33.3% chance of being in the top 1/3, after all =D), you should at least be happy with where you're graduating from.

good advice, that's why I applied mostly in New York/Boston area. I'm not putting all my eggs in the transfer basket, because when you get somewhere, you may end up liking it a lot. If I got into Suffolk, I'd like to stay there and graduate from there.

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 07:35:29 PM »

As a USD 2L i would advise you strongly to go to USD if you want to work in SD, and Loyola if you plan on working in LA and dont get into UCLA or USC. Transferring is very difficult, we all expect to be in the top 1/3, but you will have very smart colleagues and 2/3 of your class will be very disappointed. If your grades and lsat arent that good, I would consider USD PT and then transferring to day. Once you are at cal western, the chances of transferring to USD are not as great as already being there PT and transferring your second year.
USD Law grad

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 09:39:50 PM »

As a USD 2L i would advise you strongly to go to USD if you want to work in SD, and Loyola if you plan on working in LA and dont get into UCLA or USC. Transferring is very difficult, we all expect to be in the top 1/3, but you will have very smart colleagues and 2/3 of your class will be very disappointed. If your grades and lsat arent that good, I would consider USD PT and then transferring to day. Once you are at cal western, the chances of transferring to USD are not as great as already being there PT and transferring your second year.

True. The way I'm looking at it, if its meant to be, it'll be. I'm just going to ride out this cycle.