Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Money Advice  (Read 876 times)

abbygal0330

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Money Advice
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:52:10 PM »
I really need some advice...

What are people's opinions on:

T14 with no money
vs.
T20 with pretty good money...
Harvard Law 2011

abbygal0330

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Money Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 03:57:46 PM »
Might as well just put it on here, since its on LSN...

Cornell offered me nothing... BU offered me 30K/year... which is practically full tuition (36/year). Its really making me think

I know I may just be whining as these are both good schools, but i have no parental support, so money does make a difference for me.
Harvard Law 2011

abbygal0330

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »
I have family near both areas, so they are equal in that regard, and I most likely want to do corporate law. I do love the Boston area and I would love to live there, but I'm in NYC now and like that too, and I know Cornell places really well in NYC
Harvard Law 2011

ohthehugemanatee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 04:02:43 PM »
Cornell

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 05:47:50 PM »
What GPA must retain for the $30k? Anything over a 3.0 - don't count on.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

DECONda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 05:52:15 PM »
also keep in mind that even federally insured loans have rats that are going up b/c of the credit crisis: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/02/AR2008030202213.html?hpid=topnews

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 10:55:48 PM »
Considering that I already have student loan debt, I'm really trying to minimize any additional debt I take on for law school.  If you don't really have any student loan or credit card debt, then it's not as big a deal.  You're still going to need to take out loans to cover the rest of tuition and living expenses, but the scholarship sounds like it would basically halve your law school debt.  The only reason that I would suggest considering Cornell over BU would be if they had a specific program or area of concentration which interests you.  The rankings aren't a huge factor in my decision-making, so I don't put much stock in those.  It looks like you're talking about a difference between #13 and #20.  BU is still t25, and it sounds like they are being very generous.  Freak makes a good point though; you might want to find out what GPA you need in order to retain the scholarship and also what percentage of students lose their scholarships each year.  If you're leaning toward Cornell and you don't think you'll be able to meet the requirements to keep your scholarship for 2L and 3L, then maybe follow your heart?  I know that sounds corny.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 04:20:11 AM »
Might as well just put it on here, since its on LSN...

Cornell offered me nothing... BU offered me 30K/year... which is practically full tuition (36/year). Its really making me think

I know I may just be whining as these are both good schools, but i have no parental support, so money does make a difference for me.

BU.  If that scholarship is non-contingent, you take the money and run.  It's a great deal.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

NYU2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 09:00:21 AM »
I'm wondering the same with WUSTL with 30k and NYU.  Everyone on here tells me i'm stupid for considering WUSTL.

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 09:14:44 AM »
I have no advice, other than to say that I am in a similar dilemma. Duke (which hasn't sent out merit-based aid yet, here's hoping) vs. Vanderbilt at 30K a year. I haven't been able to get to sleep tonight thinking about it...

I'm in the same predicament as you, Martin.  30k/year at Vanderbilt and nada (so far) from Northwestern - my only t14 acceptance (again, so far).   ;)

Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln