Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone checked ezboard lately?  (Read 3637 times)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
anyone checked ezboard lately?
« on: October 03, 2004, 09:38:59 PM »
Anyone found any useful information on there lately?  I check every now and then but never really find anything overly helpful.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: anyone checked ezboard lately?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 10:12:33 PM »
That place has been going down.  It's become a virtual ghost town for some reason.
No longer here.

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 05:43:30 PM »
i read an archived discussion on ezboard that said that UBC did drop 12 credits.  i've emailed borthwick to confirm, but there seems to be so much discrepancy.  does anyone know for sure how UBC looks at someone's GPA? 

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 08:10:59 PM »
I really have no idea ...

however, the rumor about things like this is ...

Schools don't actually drop anything when they consider you for admission.  They look at your whole transcript.  However, when they report their median GPA's, they exclude say, their admitted applicants worst year, or whatever they say they do.  UofT does this - I would imagine other schools employ the same sort of tactics to stay competitive.

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 08:46:46 PM »
that notion is ridiculous and if schools really do that, i think it's highly unfair.  it gives an inaccurate portrayal of the median GPA which is supposed to be used as a tool for prospective students to garner whether or not they would be competitive and should then apply.

do they do this to look better and to make their GPA stats more competitive than they actually are?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 08:49:02 PM »
I really have no idea ...

however, the rumor about things like this is ...

Schools don't actually drop anything when they consider you for admission.  They look at your whole transcript.  However, when they report their median GPA's, they exclude say, their admitted applicants worst year, or whatever they say they do.  UofT does this - I would imagine other schools employ the same sort of tactics to stay competitive.

UWO for sure looks at your last two years, and UNB certainly does drop your worst one year worth of credits.  UofT, I believe, is actually the only school that actually resorts to this website trickery.  However, if it isn't on their website, and if you can't confirm it with a phone call, I'd suggest to expect all 4 years for UBC.

No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 08:52:52 PM »
keep in mind this isn't coming from an admissions committee...I'm just repeating what people have told me.  Plus, if you read schools admissions policies, few actually say they don't count course credits.

I think it's fair though because ...

If only one school isn't counting their applicants worst year, and reporting the inflated figure, then it is reasonable for all other schools to do the same.  However, they don't want to make admissions decisions based on these number, which is also reasonable.

but i take no responsibilty over the truth of the above or previously posted comments.  Just a rumor I guess ...

but also, how would that effect you?  it doesn't.  If you are worried about UBC, it doesn't matter, cause they are evaulating ALL of their applicants on the 4 year scale.  If they only report a 3 year GPA, then it has no effect on admission decisions.  

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 09:05:22 PM »
keep in mind this isn't coming from an admissions committee...I'm just repeating what people have told me.  Plus, if you read schools admissions policies, few actually say they don't count course credits.

I think it's fair though because ...

If only one school isn't counting their applicants worst year, and reporting the inflated figure, then it is reasonable for all other schools to do the same.  However, they don't want to make admissions decisions based on these number, which is also reasonable.

but i take no responsibilty over the truth of the above or previously posted comments.  Just a rumor I guess ...

but also, how would that effect you?  it doesn't.  If you are worried about UBC, it doesn't matter, cause they are evaulating ALL of their applicants on the 4 year scale.  If they only report a 3 year GPA, then it has no effect on admission decisions. 

It has an effect depending on how consistent your grades have been.  Keep in mind, someone like UWO really does count all 4, but if you have an A- in your last two years and a 160, you're as good as in as long as the sum of 4 years isn't less than GPA of about 3.0.  UNB is definetely confirmed to drop your worst 10 half-year courses.  They actually give you the adjusted GPA when evaluating.  I would say most schools tend to drop.  For the two of the above schools, it's pretty much as official as an adcom.
No longer here.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 09:10:04 PM »
BTW, there's no reason for them to lie.  If they wish to not drop any courses, they can just change their admission practices.  My strong hunch is that this is exactly what has happened with UBC.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 09:13:49 PM »
yeah, it may not help you that they don't drop your grades, but i don't see how that's not fair.  Anyways, whatever ... i'm semi-confused by the whole thing anyways.

As per the trickery, you want to be a lawyer!!! it's what they do :D