Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone checked ezboard lately?  (Read 3563 times)

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: anyone checked ezboard lately?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 09:17:36 PM »
yeah, it may not help you that they don't drop your grades, but i don't see how that's not fair.  Anyways, whatever ... i'm semi-confused by the whole thing anyways.

As per the trickery, you want to be a lawyer!!! it's what they do :D

Actually, it's not unfair at all.  What would be unfair is if they stated they dropped grades but then, in fact, didn't. 

In any case, I would find that hard to believe.  If the school had a printed publication stating their admission protocols (and they all do), but it did not follow it, a leak by just one member of the adcom could actually bring a lawsuit.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 09:21:57 PM »
they could word their policy carefully.  I think i posted UofT's and we both could see that there were loop holes.

Anyways, as long as every applicant is viewed in the same context and under the same rules, i think it is fair.

However, what may be seen as unfair, as them tempting an applicant to apply where they might not do so if they had a more 'clear' view of the admission policies.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 09:25:51 PM »
they could word their policy carefully.  I think i posted UofT's and we both could see that there were loop holes.

Anyways, as long as every applicant is viewed in the same context and under the same rules, i think it is fair.

However, what may be seen as unfair, as them tempting an applicant to apply where they might not do so if they had a more 'clear' view of the admission policies.

Third paragraph is precisely why they could be sued and why it isn't fair unless, as you say, they don't really say they drop anything.  But if they explicitly state they drop something, they better.

Take UNB: The applicant’s re-calculated GPA is then determined. If the applicant has completed three years (or equivalent), the lowest 15% of the grades are excluded from the calculation. If the applicant has completed four or more years (or equivalent), the lowest 25% are excluded.

If they chose to not follow this rule, an adcom could actually lend them a law suit.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 09:27:51 PM »
well, of course if that's what they say.  I was refering more to a case like UBC or UofT.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 09:31:05 PM »
well, of course if that's what they say.  I was refering more to a case like UBC or UofT.

Yes, I too think that UBC doesn't drop anything.  If they did, it should say somewhere.  And I don't mean on ezboard.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 09:33:36 PM »
hahahah ... agreed.  website doesn't say they do, so I think it can be assumed they don't.  (unless under special circumstances ie. student died during 2nd year etc.)