Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GSU/Atlanta Discussion  (Read 8058 times)

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: GSU/Atlanta Discussion
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 11:54:35 AM »

Martindale shows 913 GSU grads and 529 Mercer grads registered in Atlanta. 

Would the age of the schools also affect these numbers?  Mercer has been around for over a century, I believe, and GSU recently celebrated its 25th anniversary.  Considering that GSU's reputation seems to only be going up (fastest school to break into the top 100, but we'll see where that goes in the rankings this year), the numbers you provided might actually point to a significant current advantage for GSU. 

Yeah, I think not a whole lot can be gleaned from the Martindale numbers.  I wasn't really trying to make a point either way about the schools, and to be fair, I did say this:

Compared to Mercer, GSU is a relatively new school.  As GSU becomes more established, I would expect the disparity to gradually grow.

What I really was trying to show was something resembling hard data to raise a doubt as to the following comment, which was later acknowledged as being anecdotal rather than empirical:

GSU places SUBSTANTIALLY better than Mercer in Atlanta MIDLAW.

I have no problem with anecdotes so long as they are given proper weight.  I think they can be useful, but I distrust sweeping assertions that are made based on one person's experience.

kfmitche

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
Soooo I still haven't heard from GSU (not surprising since I applied kinda late) but I have to pay my seat deposit at Mercer by April 4th. Looks like that's a 250$ I'm just going to have to swallow! Awesome!

Just thought I'd vent to you guys.

If I went complete at GSU on March 7th what do you suppose the odds of me hearing from them before the 4th are?

I'm so ready to be done with this whole process.
In:GSU, Campbell, Mercer

Out:

Waitlist: Wake

gclemen1

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 04:54:09 PM »
I think there is a possibility, but that is pretty late in the game.  It could be a while, so don't get your hopes up.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 07:25:14 PM »
Soooo I still haven't heard from GSU (not surprising since I applied kinda late) but I have to pay my seat deposit at Mercer by April 4th. Looks like that's a 250$ I'm just going to have to swallow! Awesome!

Just thought I'd vent to you guys.

If I went complete at GSU on March 7th what do you suppose the odds of me hearing from them before the 4th are?

I'm so ready to be done with this whole process.

Send them a letter saying you have a deposit due, and you need a decision. If they are a top choice, tell them.

FYI... I did this for U-Tenn b/c of a 1000 deposit due at Cardozo March 24th. I got my acceptance letter when I checked my mail today.

EDIT: I just noticed that you went complete March 7th.... I would not contact them in your situation.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

namehasbeenchanged

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 10:42:04 AM »
I was checking out the Emory board and they have some pretty good info about Atlanta on there...

here is the link.

htto://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,102905.0.html

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile

namehasbeenchanged

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »
oops!  Thanks gowi. ;D

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2008, 08:44:57 PM »
I just have to have a link at work, don't want to fill up my address bar with law school stuff, lol.  ;)

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2008, 08:00:56 AM »

I have no problem with anecdotes so long as they are given proper weight.  I think they can be useful, but I distrust sweeping assertions that are made based on one person's experience.

I completely agree.  I was just pointing out a different interpretation of the data you presented.  Lies, damn lies, and statistics, if you will.   ;D

namehasbeenchanged

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2008, 01:30:49 PM »
So...anyone attending GSU this fall?