Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stanford or take the money?  (Read 4828 times)

und3r3stimat3d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Stanford or take the money?
« on: March 03, 2008, 12:16:25 AM »
I'm trying to figure where I'm going to go to law school. My cycle is basically over (no final word for Harvard or Northwestern, and no final $$$). Here's how my choices are looking:

Stanford (obvious choice?)

vs.

CCN (no money at any of them yet)

vs.

UVA/Penn (~half tuition at each)

vs.

Cornell (35K/year)

What would you chose in this case? I'm leaning Stanford, unless CCN give me something approaching what UVA/Penn gave me. Does this seem rational or prestige-whorish? If one of CCN gave me 50K (seems like Chicago gives that award out sometimes), are CCN the obvious choice over Stanford? Should I be considering UVA/Penn/Cornell more? I most likely want big law, but academia is a possibility.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Stanford or take the money?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 12:24:54 AM »
SLS unless CCN kicks in some money/or you REALLY like UVa upon visit (and the reason I only said UVa is bc I've seen a few ppl pick UVa over HLS for lifestyle purposes...can't really say the same for Penn afaik).
Columbia 3L

pacific sands

• Come on. Rain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:31:29 AM »
I'm aware this is a minority opinion around here, but I tend to think Yale and Stanford are both tremendously overrated both in terms of the education you get and the ultimate benefit to your career opportunities. If I could get two cents from Columbia, Chicago, or New York, or made it into Harvard, Stanford wouldn't even cross my mind. But that's just me. Translation: please don't feel pressured to attend Stanford just because everyone at obsessive law school forums thinks it's the only thing you should do.

Beyond that sentiment, you should visit some of these places. If you get a great vibe from Penn, Virginia, or Ithaca, maybe it ends your problem.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 12:33:22 AM »
I wouldn't consider CCN over Stanford without a named full scholarship.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 12:37:04 AM »
I'm aware this is a minority opinion around here, but I tend to think Yale and Stanford are both tremendously overrated both in terms of the education you get and the ultimate benefit to your career opportunities.

Snort.  ;D
CLS 2011

pacific sands

• Come on. Rain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 12:38:26 AM »
I'm aware this is a minority opinion around here, but I tend to think Yale and Stanford are both tremendously overrated both in terms of the education you get and the ultimate benefit to your career opportunities.

Snort.  ;D

I said I was aware, didn't I?
They don't even give grades at Yale.
Sissies.  8)

und3r3stimat3d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 12:41:25 AM »
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure I'm not being irrational for favoring SLS over UVA/Penn at this point. I feel really lucky to have gotten in.

My family is pretty midde class and I did well for need based aid undergrad... I'm assuming SLS has a pretty good need based aid program? Anyone whose gone through the process have any idea of what kind of awards they give out and when I can expect them? I wouldn't say my family is poor, but our EFC for college was in the teens. Now, my EFC is obviously 0, but that's because I'm considered independent by FAFSA and have no income.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 01:11:58 AM »
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure I'm not being irrational for favoring SLS over UVA/Penn at this point. I feel really lucky to have gotten in.

My family is pretty midde class and I did well for need based aid undergrad... I'm assuming SLS has a pretty good need based aid program? Anyone whose gone through the process have any idea of what kind of awards they give out and when I can expect them? I wouldn't say my family is poor, but our EFC for college was in the teens. Now, my EFC is obviously 0, but that's because I'm considered independent by FAFSA and have no income.

eh, if you have to fill out Need Access (for any school) you may get screwed despite an efc of 0 for FAFSA
Columbia 3L

und3r3stimat3d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 01:15:17 AM »

eh, if you have to fill out Need Access (for any school) you may get screwed despite an efc of 0 for FAFSA

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully stanford ponies up. if not, i might work for a year (some might find this silly because i'll make more after law school, but i do want to work before law school to make sure law school is for me. however, if working is just going to decrease my need based aid, i'm not going to do it. there'd be no incentive).

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 01:24:35 AM »

eh, if you have to fill out Need Access (for any school) you may get screw
ed despite an efc of 0 for FAFSA

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully stanford ponies up. if not, i might work for a year (some might find this silly because i'll make more after law school, but i do want to work before law school to make sure law school is for me. however, if working is just going to decrease my need based aid, i'm not going to do it. there'd be no incentive).

It'll decrease your need based aid--sick, I know. If your family's income hasn't increased much, you can still expect their contribution to be in the teens. Which isn't bad since you're not expected to contribute. Great options, anyway. :)

Edit: I'm basing this statement on my undergrad experience with the FAFSA. It's possible that it won't make such a difference at generous law schools.
CLS 2011