Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago-Kent vs. Case Western Reserve  (Read 1260 times)

xiaoningning

• View Profile
Chicago-Kent vs. Case Western Reserve
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:44:15 PM »
I have tech background and am interested in IP. I am willing to practice in BigLaw. I got in Chicago-Kent with some $ and Case Western Reserve without $. Case has a better overall rank. Kent has a good IP program and it is in Chicago. For me, I don't have to practice in Chicago. I prefer in Big cities. Which one is better? It seems Case students can go NYC, Chicago, and DC. Most Kent students stay in Chicago. Does Case have a better national reputation. Ciolli report marks Case as a nation school. Which school does BigLaw go deeper on recruiting? Not many people here talk about Case. How about 1L and 2L summer intern programs in Case? Case ranks lower on USNews in the recent years. Anything wrong with Case? I got to make a decision soon. Thanks.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago-Kent vs. Case Western Reserve
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 12:41:29 AM »
I have tech background and am interested in IP. I am willing to practice in BigLaw. I got in Chicago-Kent with some $ and Case Western Reserve without $. Case has a better overall rank. Kent has a good IP program and it is in Chicago. For me, I don't have to practice in Chicago. I prefer in Big cities. Which one is better? It seems Case students can go NYC, Chicago, and DC. Most Kent students stay in Chicago. Does Case have a better national reputation. Ciolli report marks Case as a nation school. Which school does BigLaw go deeper on recruiting? Not many people here talk about Case. How about 1L and 2L summer intern programs in Case? Case ranks lower on USNews in the recent years. Anything wrong with Case? I got to make a decision soon. Thanks.

ESL?

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:52:37 AM »

ESL?

you ass =)

To answer OP's question, I'd think that big city law firms wouldn't recruit much out of Ohio, at least unless you were at the top of your class or something.  Kent is obviously networked into Chicago, so I'm sure your chances would be better there. Otherwise, maybe Cardozo is more your speed...

xiaoningning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 01:03:55 AM »
On Ciolli report, the number of Case is better than that of Kent.

PermanentlyOnline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 01:14:44 AM »
Dude, you're looking at three years in Chicago ( Fantastic city) versus Cleveland, which, from what i hear is a hellhole ( I got into case too, i've been researching). Plus, both are strong midwestern schools, and trust me, you'd much rather have the chance of staying in chicago then being stuck in cleveland.
3.07/159, trying to figure out how much distance I can handle b/t my fam fam and I.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 01:29:50 AM »
Dude, you're looking at three years in Chicago ( Fantastic city) versus Cleveland, which, from what i hear is a hellhole ( I got into case too, i've been researching). Plus, both are strong midwestern schools, and trust me, you'd much rather have the chance of staying in chicago then being stuck in cleveland.

I second this opinion.  Get out of Ohio while you're still young.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 02:04:24 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »

I second this opinion.  Get out of Ohio while you're still young.

Ohio is fantastic for gun shows. Does the OP like gun shows? If not, let me "third" the get the hell out advice.

I love gun shows, and I still wouldn't touch Ohio with a 10 foot pole

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 03:59:52 PM »
On second thought, I still haven't heard back from Kent.

I've got a friend who lives in Ohio and she LOVES it!!!  I'd seriously consider Case if I were you... :P

TheMaddRapper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 05:59:15 PM »
Listen, this is a Chinese person who barely speaks English we're talking about.  She probably just wants to do IP and she won't have any problem getting hired because she probably has a hard science background.  So school prestige won't matter for her, unlike the rest of us stiffs.

Case is obviously the better school but people get IP jobs out of Kent.  In fact, that might be the only way to get a good-paying job out of Kent.