Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seton Hall  (Read 4579 times)

JeaniusIsMe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seton Hall
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 03:14:20 PM »
I also applied to St. John's in December and still haven't heard, so I'm sending in my Seton Hall deposit today.  I really liked the feel of the campus, and the improved rankings certainly made me more comfortable with it.   I'm from Chicago and know nothing about New Jersey, so I was planning on living in Eleven80 or the Union Building- but anyone who can offer a better idea of where to live would be greatly appreciated (how far are Jersey City/Hoboken from Newark- are they on the PATH?).

mel0515

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »
Cupcake: I called St. John's today and was informed that my file was being held for possible admission into a Summer Institute that they are offering. She told me that they wouldn't make a decision until the end of the month. Maybe that's the case with your file. I don't know why they didn't let people know that in the first place. Thanks for the advice about Newark. I have heard that it was a bad area from several people. I am looking to stay in Jersey City if I move there. Hoboken is too expensive for me. I still have more options to weigh but I gave myself a deadline of April 30. Are you any closer to a decision?

logflume

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »
Cupcake: I called St. John's today and was informed that my file was being held for possible admission into a Summer Institute that they are offering. She told me that they wouldn't make a decision until the end of the month. Maybe that's the case with your file. I don't know why they didn't let people know that in the first place. Thanks for the advice about Newark. I have heard that it was a bad area from several people. I am looking to stay in Jersey City if I move there. Hoboken is too expensive for me. I still have more options to weigh but I gave myself a deadline of April 30. Are you any closer to a decision?

The good thing about SHU is it is right next to the train station, not only for the PATH trains to Jersey City, Hoboken and Manhattan...but also for the NJ Transit trains.  Both the NE Corridor Line and the North Jersey Coast Line run through Newark Penn Station.  The lines split at a town called Rahway and they have a lot of apts. right near the train station...so that's a place to check out if you want to save $$$ and still be 20-30 mins from school.  Driving into Newark is the pits, so you'd want to look at an option where public transit is a possibility.

citykid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 12:48:51 PM »
Seton Hall- Anyone interested in living in the Eleven Eighty or Union Sq. let's get together and meet up! I was also looking at their websites (I guess a lot of students live there)- the apartments seem nice and I'm thinking of moving right before the semester starts.

Diddo on St. John's...I applied in Jan and still heaven't heard back. Same goes for Rutgers :(

JeaniusIsMe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 11:59:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'll be living in Union Square or eleven80.  Have to make a trip or two this summer out to Newark with the parents to check out the apartments though.  But I'll be moving in shortly before the semester begins in August.

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 12:05:56 AM »
I also applied to St. John's in December and still haven't heard, so I'm sending in my Seton Hall deposit today.  I really liked the feel of the campus, and the improved rankings certainly made me more comfortable with it.   I'm from Chicago and know nothing about New Jersey, so I was planning on living in Eleven80 or the Union Building- but anyone who can offer a better idea of where to live would be greatly appreciated (how far are Jersey City/Hoboken from Newark- are they on the PATH?).

I recommend living in Jersey City.  The rents are still cheap and the area is improving.  I'd say it's 15 minutes on the path to Newark.  There is some night life and you can get into Manhattan or Hoboken quickly.  My friend lives near Journal Square and it's a decent place for a student to live.

JeaniusIsMe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 11:30:58 PM »
dekocards: Thanks for the advice.  I'm looking more into Jersey City now.  I'm planning on visiting probably in late May or early June to look at the area a bit more.

difinity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 03:08:14 PM »
I went to the ASD, merit scholars dinner, and champaign brunch and was really impressed with SHU.  One thing though, I stumbled across some pretty harsh criticism of Dean Hobbs and the school.  Normally I just assume rants are elitism or self hatred being projected, but I'm a little unnerved by some of the stuff that comes up when you google "valvoline dean."  Anyone want to reassure me? :)
160 / ~3

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 10:51:57 PM »
congrats on shu. with regards to transferring pt to fulltime, you do it after you first year (no option after first semester), take 2 classes at night over the summer. and you can definitly do it as long as your first year gpa is over a 2.8 (about the top 75% of the class id guess...i wanna say the curve is for 1st yr classes is around a 3.0). if its under that they won't let u. but if u got the grades, its real easy. they usually say about half the pt class transfers to ft.

citykid

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 01:50:56 PM »
Wow, did I just see a 2.8 is top 60%? Is this a typo or actually true?
Seems like a really harsh curve....