Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seton Hall  (Read 4491 times)

cupcake315

• View Profile
    • LSN
Seton Hall
« on: March 01, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »
Okay, so I just got into Seton Hall part time evenings. I've also been accepted to NYLS, Pace, McGeorge, Suffolk, and Lewis&Clark all full time, and waitlisted at Villanova and Penn State. Seton Hall is the highest ranked of my choices, but I really only applied part time to increase my chances of getting in, with little desire to actually go to school part time. If I go, I plan on trying to transfer into full time after my first semester. Would you choose SHU PT over any of those schools listed FT? I'm deferred at Rutgers Newark FT and would go there over all the rest if I get in. Any thoughts though if those end up being my only choices? PS- Cost is fortunately not an issue, and I hope to work in a medium sized firm in the tri-state..not interested biglaw

also waiting on St. Johns and Brooklyn PT

whohoo

• View Profile
Re: Seton Hall
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 08:08:48 AM »
Good question. Still waiting on Seton Hall PT and accepted to a number of Tier 4's (NESL,Roger Williams, Western NE,Widener some with significant $$$'s). Still waiting on a number of other Tier 3's like Suffolk,Albany, Quinnipiac, Pace.  Think I would rather do Seton Hall since it's close to home and much better ranked and well known in my area.I guess the question is would I be better off going FT at a tier 3 or 4 and trying to transfer or should I just start PT at SHLS and try to move to the FT program after one or two semesters. Assuming I can get in of course? I would lean to the PT at SHLS - seems less risky. What's your thinking?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 09:51:07 AM »
Unless you are dead set on NY I would choose lewis and clark. Beautiful area and a less competative legal market.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

nerdmeist

• dum dum dum dummm
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iexbeeonz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 08:27:08 AM »
I was just wait listed at Seton Hall for full-time.  There's a question on the waitlist letter about whether or not I'd be interested in going part time.  I've pretty much made up my mind about NYLS, but a friend of mine told me to seriously consider Seton Hall part time and transfer up after the first semester.

So I'm going to consider it.  It definitely has its positive aspects for me:  strong health law program, associated with UMDNJ, mental health clinic/program.

I'm confused.

cupcake315

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:36:06 PM »
Yea i'm basically in the same position deciding between NYLS FT and SH PT. I guess it's going to come down to how I feel when I visit both, but I'm leaning toward SH PT with the hopes of transferring to full time after a semester. Although nyls' location def has a one up on SH....if you choose SH, do you have any idea on where you plan on living?

nerdmeist

• dum dum dum dummm
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iexbeeonz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:36:31 PM »
Yea i'm basically in the same position deciding between NYLS FT and SH PT. I guess it's going to come down to how I feel when I visit both, but I'm leaning toward SH PT with the hopes of transferring to full time after a semester. Although nyls' location def has a one up on SH....if you choose SH, do you have any idea on where you plan on living?

Whether I go to NYLS, SHL, Rutgers, Cardozo (as much as I doubt this one), I will be moving in with a friend in downtown Jersey City.  It's an easy commute, by Path, to any one of the schools.  My only other option is Pace, with their small dorms.  I'm not sure I could do that.  I'd rather dish out the extra dough and live on my own (or in this case, with a friend.)

citykid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:08:42 PM »
I've also been accepted to Seton Hall part-time but via the LEO summer institute (for minorities and economically disadvantaged students, etc) with some money. I'm in a similar boat. Still waiting on Rutgers and St. John's (both pt, but I'm willing to transfer to ft or pt at a higher ranked school).

I'm an Ivy League grad with good grades but *&^% lsat scores (twice taken, traumatic experiences, bad concentration, got sick) so I've been wodering what to do..Take the money at Seton and try to do well or keep studying for the entire summer and fall until I can LEARN how to relax and take a decent LSAT exam...

Anyone out there with some sain advice? Thanks.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 07:01:49 PM »

I'm an Ivy League grad with good grades but poo lsat scores (twice taken, traumatic experiences, bad concentration, got sick) so I've been wodering what to do..Take the money at Seton and try to do well or keep studying for the entire summer and fall until I can LEARN how to relax and take a decent LSAT exam...

For the love of all that is good and holy retake the LSAT ^
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

mel0515

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »
I have been accepted to Seton Hall P/T as well. I hear that it's fairly easy to transfer to F/T depending on your grades. I haven't received any money yet so I am holding out. I still haven't heard from St. Johns(which is freaking me out because I applied in November) but I have narrowed it down to Louisville F/T or Seton Hall P/T. Any suggestions on housing in Newark? Also, did anyone go to their admitted students open house on 3/28?

cupcake315

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »
Melbel--  i  haven't heard from St. Johns either and I applied in December. As far as housing in Newark, there are a few options depending on your price range. When I went to the ASD on 3/28 they took us on a tour of 2 apt complexes that a few students live in. One was the Union Building which was decent enough with decent prices (cant recall exact prices) and the other was called Eleven80 which was gorgeous -- you didn't feel like you were in Newark at all, but also way more expensive. If I attend Seton Hall, I'll probably live in Hoboken or Jersey City (I dk if you are familiar with NJ) but Newark isn't a great place. The school is surrrounded by the nicest area with a lot going on and a lot of security, but I know a lot of the SH students live in Hoboken or JC, some even Manhattan, because Newark is just not that desirable. Also, the public transportation into Newark from all of the above is pretty easy.