Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USNWR Specialty Rankings  (Read 1501 times)

kevinpepperdine

• View Profile
USNWR Specialty Rankings
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »
Do these rankings matter at all?  For example, I want to get into health law.  I know that Saint Louis University has been ranked #1 in Health Law for the last three years.  Would this help me find a job in this area or should I just ignore this ranking.  I know the location of the school (outside of T20) plays a major role, but for the purpose of this question just assume I am fine with a job in any region.  Any input will be appreciated

lawandethan

• View Profile
Re: USNWR Specialty Rankings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 11:06:05 PM »
Yes these rankings matter.  If you want to do health law in St. Louis, MO... this seems like a great opportunity, especially if you have previous health care experience.

Is SLU the top school to attend if you have no previous experience and expect to make 160k in New York?  Nope

Specialty rankings are rankings per specialty; the only problem is that most people on this website seem to be obsessed with exclusively doing electronic discovery for the first five years of their career for obscene amounts of money.  To be a drone, it apparently requires a good school and at the very least a high ranking at a "decent" school.

HTH.

kevinpepperdine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the info

kevinpepperdine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »
I certainly agree with your point.  With my numbers T-14 will not happen.  I am actually hoping for WUSTL, but it was a really far reach and I do not think there is any chance I'll get in.  My dilemma will be SLU with 10K per year guaranteed scholarship or WUSTL with no scholarship (if by some chance I get in).  I plan on specializing in Health Law and would not mind staying in the SL area.  Tuition difference would be 23k vs. 40k per year.