Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask AdmissionsConsultants  (Read 11837 times)

Amy Johnson

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ask AdmissionsConsultants
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2008, 09:39:52 AM »
Amy, I know the best waitlist strategies are to send monthly letters regarding your continued interest, speak with someone in admissions if you get a chance, and visit.  I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to call a school around the end of April and ask if they think they will be taking anyone off their waitlist (due to 1st deposit numbers estimates) before their 2nd deposit.  Also is calling annoying or does it show effort?  I want to show as much interest as I possibly can, but I don't want to be obnoxious...

I think making an inquiry about the status of the waitlist is fine and does show continued interest.  Of course I am not privy to the number of times/frequency that you are already contacting this specific school. . . :)

Amy

Amy Johnson
Senior Consultant
AdmissionsConsultants Inc.
ajohnson@admissionsconsultants.com

Amy Johnson

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ask AdmissionsConsultants
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2008, 09:47:18 AM »
Amy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions.  I currently am strongly considering attempting to defer for a year (I am about to graduate from my UG this may) and work for a year before attending law school.  However, I am still in the process of interviewing for a position and likely will not have the issue settled by the time April 15th rolls around for my 1st deposit deadline at the school I would attend (whether it be this fall or next). 

Having said that, I called the admissions office and they said there is no actual deadline for requesting a deferral.  In that case, am I better off just submitting my seat deposit by the April 15th deadline and requesting a deferral later if necessary, or would it be worth while for me to contact the law school and try to get my seat deposit deadline possible pushed back a week or two.  My only concern with not getting a deferral granted before paying the deposit is that I feel like they are less likely to grant it, since my deposit is already paid and I'm pretty much committed.

Any insight you may have would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Hi playingthewaitinggame,

I apologize for not getting to your question sooner.  I am only able to get to these questions once a week right now.

Practically speaking, I think I would ask for a little more time on your deposit deadline.  Not because it might affect the decision on the deferral, but because I think if you are likely to take a year off, it might be nice to have those extra dollars as you are starting out.  I don't think the fact that you've submitted a deposit will change much in that deferral decision.  When it comes down to it, the deposit just makes it more likely  than not that you will show up; it doesn't bind you to the school . . .(lots of folks submit multiple deposits)

Amy

Amy Johnson
Senior Consultant
AdmissionsConsultants Inc.
ajohnson@admissionsconsultants.com

Trivium

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: Ask AdmissionsConsultants
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2008, 10:38:38 AM »
Relating to those questions about calling admissions people if you are on a waitlist, I think this is a pretty good idea. I was WL'ed at a school, called and asked why I was waitlisted and they explained everything to me. I fixed the problem and got in two days later.

NY Mom

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 39
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ask AdmissionsConsultants
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2008, 09:28:07 AM »
Hi Amy-
        I'm sure you are still busy with this years applicants, but if you have a bit of advice or insight for the new crew--
  -- Especially those 2008 Grads who wish to get 2 years work experience before they start law school:
     Does it make sense to apply to law school this fall when there is a real possibility of asking to defer admission for a year, and should that issue be addressed in the PS or application?  Or does it make more sense to sit back a year and apply then.
 I'm just a bit concerned about waiting the extra year, as it seems that admission to law school is getting more competitive with each cycle.
If it makes a difference, my kid's LSAT is 167 and I know she doesn't want to take it again.  She'll probably concentrate on  applying to "top-20" schools too.

for better or worse, my kid does not come onto these websites, so whatever advice I can pass along would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.