Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SMU ASW?  (Read 6648 times)

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SMU ASW?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:26:47 PM »
I haven't heard back yet (was just fishing for clues on when I could expect to hear based on ASW dates). Is there any chance that those admitted later will have a different seat deposit DDL or am I screwed?

Was anyone sent a letter instead of a phone call?

:-\

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
I haven't heard back yet (was just fishing for clues on when I could expect to hear based on ASW dates). Is there any chance that those admitted later will have a different seat deposit DDL or am I screwed?

Was anyone sent a letter instead of a phone call?

:-\

I was only sent a package, and then a separate letter informing me of my scholarship. No phone call. And it's not unheard of to accept students after the first deposit deadline, in fact, I think a lot of schools use the first deposit deadline as a way to gauge how many more people to let in, etc. Of course, you would be subject to a different deadline.

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 12:38:41 PM »
Oh good-- then my daily trips to the mailbox have not been in vain!

SMU is my first choice... (despite the price tag).

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 12:42:53 PM »
Oh good-- then my daily trips to the mailbox have not been in vain!

SMU is my first choice... (despite the price tag).

I wish you the very best then!

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 12:58:57 PM »
Thanks! We shall see what happens...

:D

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 03:15:53 PM »
but smu gives out a lot of money, i got 30k/yr.  I would even argue it's better than UH or Texas Tech without money, although its debatable.  SMU is the better school and it is worth a little more money to attend.

Go to the Graduate or Student Discussion board, you will see that a 2007 SMU graduate is unemployed and seeking employment and he said that he is not alone.  Many of his class mates are still unemployed. 

raider1984

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 05:15:05 PM »
im still waiting on SMU too.....GOOD LUCK to the both of us!! its my #1 chocice...

czarevich

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
but smu gives out a lot of money, i got 30k/yr.  I would even argue it's better than UH or Texas Tech without money, although its debatable.  SMU is the better school and it is worth a little more money to attend.

Go to the Graduate or Student Discussion board, you will see that a 2007 SMU graduate is unemployed and seeking employment and he said that he is not alone.  Many of his class mates are still unemployed. 

I've heard this before.  What is his screen name? 

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »

Doesn't this really hold any weight if the schools he was comparing SMU to have better employment prospects? For all we know, there's the same number of people (ratio-wise) who are just as unemployed at the other schools.

BLUE EYED MONSTER

• See. It's a giant hat. It's funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 01:58:05 PM »
I'm going to SMU unless UT decides to let me in off WL.

goodword and contract2008 - don't rain on my parade. (I can experience that in other threads aplenty)

I'm also going to SMU unless Northwestern decides to let me in by some miracle (Not going to happen).

If you don't mind working in DFW (Which is a plus for me) and you don't get into UT (also me) SMU is a great choice. I've been able to get to know a bunch of the attorneys that work at my firm and each of them (even the recent t14 grads) have said to me that you canít really go wrong with either school as long as you want to stay in the state. I even had a Northwestern grad tell me that if she had realized that she was coming back to Texas at the time, she might have taken a full ride at UH.  Texas firms like to hire fellow Texans. Please realize that in no way am I equating the opportunities that a UT grad will have vs. an SMU grad. The UT gradís choices will probably be better but the prospects for schools in the state below UT are not as dire as some would have you believe. SMU and UH do well in their respective markets. 

I do wish the school would try harder to increase its national reputation. With the resources that they have and their excellent location it would be feasible for them to push their ranking considerably higher. They do not seem like they are really committed to doing it in my opinion. As it stands right now, itís still a good choice.

I'll be at the ASD on Friday. Anyone else?