Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SMU ASW?  (Read 6470 times)

BLUE EYED MONSTER

• See. It's a giant hat. It's funny.
    • View Profile
Re: SMU ASW?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 05:31:09 PM »
My SMU 4/4/08 ASD Review

I liked it a lot. I went to make sure that I was not making a big mistake by turning down the higher ranked school and enrolling. The school really exceeded my expectations. There were about 25 students there so we all got personal attention. The weather cleared up (after rain all night) so that the out of towners could get a good feel for the city.

Things That I Liked
1.   All of our guides were on top of their game. We got to meet 10-15 different students throughout the day and each one of them was very outgoing and well informed about the school. Even the Students that I talked to who had no affiliation with the ASD each said that they made a good choice. They were candid about any complaints they had but overall they were happy.

2.   They gave us the latest employment numbers for the class of 2008. 80% of students are employed at the time of graduation (sounds respectable to me). Of that 80%, the more than 70% that went into private practice had an avg. salary of 114,000. Those are self reported numbers so take them for what their worth but they sound pretty good. They also said that they are being much more selective this year than in recent years. (Possibly Due to an increase in applications? Do schools say this every year?)

3.   The Contracts class was pretty good. The professor we sat in on did not use Socratic at all. The guides said that some professors will use it exclusively, others not at all. After the first year you will get a feel for who you mesh with and who you donít. Very interesting class. I actually understood some of it.  :)

4.   They fed us as well as the entire law school. We got to eat lunch with professors and current students. Basic stuff. The guides said that there was an opportunity for a free lunch 2-3 times a week because of events sponsored by different student organizations. 

5.   The Parking garage is awesome. You can pretty much step out of your car and into class.

6.   They gave a lot of info on the law reviews (3 of them). It doesnít sound like itís impossible to get on one.

Things I didnít Like.
1.   The dean had to catch a plane so he was only around for about 20 min. Heís a pretty interesting guy though.

2.   You can tell that the buildings are a little older. I donít really care about that but some will. They did have some beautiful classrooms. Others not so much. 

So Iím going to SMU and I feel pretty good about it. Itís going to be really nice not having to move. They made a very good case that I will be able to get a great legal education there and really stressed their ties to the Dallas Legal market. So I guess Iíll see some of you in Dallas.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 05:34:48 PM »
My SMU 4/4/08 ASD Review

I liked it a lot. I went to make sure that I was not making a big mistake by turning down the higher ranked school and enrolling. The school really exceeded my expectations. There were about 25 students there so we all got personal attention. The weather cleared up (after rain all night) so that the out of towners could get a good feel for the city.

Things That I Liked
1.   All of our guides were on top of their game. We got to meet 10-15 different students throughout the day and each one of them was very outgoing and well informed about the school. Even the Students that I talked to who had no affiliation with the ASD each said that they made a good choice. They were candid about any complaints they had but overall they were happy.

2.   They gave us the latest employment numbers for the class of 2008. 80% of students are employed at the time of graduation (sounds respectable to me). Of that 80%, the more than 70% that went into private practice had an avg. salary of 114,000. Those are self reported numbers so take them for what their worth but they sound pretty good. They also said that they are being much more selective this year than in recent years. (Possibly Due to an increase in applications? Do schools say this every year?)

3.   The Contracts class was pretty good. The professor we sat in on did not use Socratic at all. The guides said that some professors will use it exclusively, others not at all. After the first year you will get a feel for who you mesh with and who you donít. Very interesting class. I actually understood some of it.  :)

4.   They fed us as well as the entire law school. We got to eat lunch with professors and current students. Basic stuff. The guides said that there was an opportunity for a free lunch 2-3 times a week because of events sponsored by different student organizations. 

5.   The Parking garage is awesome. You can pretty much step out of your car and into class.

6.   They gave a lot of info on the law reviews (3 of them). It doesnít sound like itís impossible to get on one.

Things I didnít Like.
1.   The dean had to catch a plane so he was only around for about 20 min. Heís a pretty interesting guy though.

2.   You can tell that the buildings are a little older. I donít really care about that but some will. They did have some beautiful classrooms. Others not so much. 

So Iím going to SMU and I feel pretty good about it. Itís going to be really nice not having to move. They made a very good case that I will be able to get a great legal education there and really stressed their ties to the Dallas Legal market. So I guess Iíll see some of you in Dallas.

Sounds great! Thanks for the write-up. I'm going on the 18th, and I'll try to keep stuff in mind to report on.

Did it seem like anyone was stressing to find a job? Did you talk to current students about 1L Summers/2L Summers? What about Clerking?

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 05:53:43 PM »
p.s. so any interest in a 2011 facebook group??

Sure. Although not 100% yet, I'm not hating the idea of being there which is a great sign.

BLUE EYED MONSTER

• See. It's a giant hat. It's funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 06:13:28 PM »
p.s. so any interest in a 2011 facebook group??

Sure. Although not 100% yet, I'm not hating the idea of being there which is a great sign.

I'd hop on that as well.

Sounds great! Thanks for the write-up. I'm going on the 18th, and I'll try to keep stuff in mind to report on.

Did it seem like anyone was stressing to find a job? Did you talk to current students about 1L Summers/2L Summers? What about Clerking?

I could not see a single sign of stress from anyone on campus. I donít know if it was the beautiful weather or what but I was a little surprised. That may change when you visit closer to finals. I think the accepted rule is that most 1Lís (unless you are at a top school) will not have a great paying job for that summer. Some of the people I met did but I donít think you can go in expecting that. I did not meet a single 2L without a summer job. They werenít all BIGLAW but some of them were not even interested in it. I did meet one guy who had been clerking for a judge but I didnít press him on it because Iím not super interested in doing that.

They all basically said the same thing that we have been for the last page or two: Law school is what you make of it. Work hard and you will have some great opportunities (especially at SMU). If you donít you really have only yourself to blame.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008, 03:03:58 AM »
My SMU 4/4/08 ASD Review

you were probably in my contracts class with crespi

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 12:04:09 PM »
^ yep. 2/29. Can't honestly say I followed all that well. I thought it was weird how the prof just talks and talks and the students never look up from their laptops. So it seems like the prof is just talking to himself amidst the rapid clack-clacking of the keyboards. It made me want to take hand-written notes, or few notes at all - I need interaction!

the first semester was a bit more interaction. 2nd semester he just flies through as much material as he can get to. scary

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 12:34:53 PM »
crespi goes nonstop in class and extends his final an extra hour so he can cover more material.
but he passes out all of his old exam questions for you to have an idea of what to expect.
the key is to create not just a class outline, but a sample answer outline.

Marc03

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »
mine came a few days after I got the phone call

okayplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 01:54:46 PM »
crespi goes nonstop in class and extends his final an extra hour so he can cover more material.
but he passes out all of his old exam questions for you to have an idea of what to expect.
the key is to create not just a class outline, but a sample answer outline.

No, that is not the key

Wattage2004

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 02:00:27 PM »
So. Have any SMU pendings heard anything from them recently? LSN shows the last acceptances were received 3/15.

I, like... really need for them to let me know ASAP. Jer, go down there and ask them what's up.

Anyone who received Fin Aid - did the offer come with the acceptance or at some later date?

I still have not heard anything, but would assume they would be making final decisions sometime this week or next.
University of Houston 2011

Accepted: UH($$), OCU($$$), STCL, Baylor
Rejected: UT, Colorado
Waitlist: TTU, OU, SMU
Pending: Denver

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wattage2004