Law School Discussion

-

-----

-
« on: February 29, 2008, 04:09:58 PM »
-

Talk to the financial aid office, they are usually pretty understanding about these things if you have a legit reason

^Agreed. I doubt you're the first person with this problem and in my experience adcomms are pretty understanding if you just talk to them.
Good luck figuring everything out.

You can set it up so that he can enter the information himself and not allow you to see it, iirc. See if he'll be willing to do this.

Call the financial aid office and explain the situation. They may have suggestions, or might be willing to speak with him to explain why they need it. While not exactly common, I'm sure they have at least a few students each year who have these kinds of issues.

TallisUmbras

• The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
I see your problem. On the one hand, you can use estimates to finish the form. However, once completed, you can amend your NeedAccess in the same way that you can the FAFSA form.

When was the last year that you had access to his financial information?

In the end, you may have to ballpark it and then write a letter to the respective schools about your situation. Would it be so hard to believe that he is not going to give you any money if he won't even give you his tax information?

On Penn Law's FAQ regarding this issue (parents won't give financial info), their answer is that there are many private loans available, implying that you may be out of luck at other schools if they follow this approach.

On Penn Law's FAQ regarding this issue (parents won't give financial info), their answer is that there are many private loans available, implying that you may be out of luck at other schools if they follow this approach.

Putting something like that up might just be a tactic to avoid scams. If schools openly admitted that not getting parental info isn't a problem, would anyone with rich parents willingly surrender parental information? I suppose not.

A number of schools that I've seen have the same policy as the one Penn has.  No parental information = no grants.

Some, I understand, have ways of waiving that requirement in cases like your's, cosmo.  Others are not so lenient.  The best way to find out is call the schools you're applying to and explain your situation.

Seriously, just call the school in question. I REALLY doubt it will be an issue. Just be honest, these things happen. If you have any type of documentation or something to substantiate your situation it might be helpful but I wouldn't worry about it until you talk to the schools.