Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Thoughts on Chicago, the City?  (Read 1442 times)

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
Re: Any Thoughts on Chicago, the City?
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 10:33:25 PM »
Thought on Chicago: Chicagoans love to argue/female dog about pizza.
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 08:10:29 AM »
Thought on Chicago: Chicagoans love to argue/female dog about pizza.

TITCR
Columbia 2011

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 11:45:01 AM »
Winters really aren't that bad (except this one, worst in something like 30 years), and I've found that my friends that moved here from warmer climates managed to adjust relatively quickly, and even began to appreciate the winter.

Chicago is probably the greenest big city you'll find in the US.  The park system is magnificent, and not just Millenium/Grant Parks (though those are the most attractive ones).  The public transportation is definitely convenient, though the L needs some serious work and is going through a bit of a budget crisis (mostly because our governor is a lunatic).  That being said, it still runs, and gets you where you need to go on time (usually).

I also totally agree with the getting out of Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville area and exploring.  Don't get me wrong, I love my nights out there, but there are a ton of cool, unique neighborhoods that are worth checking out.

Chicago really is an incredible, breathtaking city - and the new Calatrava "Spire" going up is going to increase that wow-factor by a lot.  If you take a boat cruise out on Lake Michigan at night in the summer, there are few more beautiful city views.

And for pizza, Lou Malnati's edges out Gino's by a hair, and Uno is crap.

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PM+me+to+get+it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
^ chicago is known as the windy city, though few people know why. can anyone tell me why?

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 08:53:20 PM »
^ chicago is known as the windy city, though few people know why. can anyone tell me why?

It's a political nickname.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 08:58:09 PM »
Quail, I thought you went to Cornell?

I do.

emergencyexit312

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
Its origin is disputed and unconfirmed.  I've heard its a political term having to do with democrats being wind talkers, however the first evidence of its usage comes from the time when New York and Chicago were competing for the location of the World Columbian Exposition.  Chicago had just burned to the ground and was trying to rebuild, and in order to get the name out, Chicagoans started talking up their city and sending people to New York to do so.  A newspaper article profiled these Chicago loudmouths and said "Send those windy men back to their windy city." 

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 11:38:32 AM »
Chicago is my favorite city. The cold/wind sucks but when it is nice out...being right on Lake Michigan...wow. You will love it - so much to do and so many great/different neighborhoods to live in.
Penn Law Class of 2011

XANADU_MAXIMUM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 01:23:44 PM »
Chicago is lame.  There is nothing in Chicago that you can't get somewhere else.  The only advantage to Chicago is that it's really really cheap. 

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 02:25:01 PM »
I can't imagine the weather in Chicago is dramatically different then the endless winter of my hometown.

<===== Ohio here!
Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln