Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Living in Houston v. Philly  (Read 2308 times)

mm1405

• View Profile
Living in Houston v. Philly
« on: February 29, 2008, 09:41:20 AM »
So I was rejected from UT, my top choices are either University of Houston, or Temple/Penn State.  I've lived in Texas all my life, but boyfriend's family is in PA.  Has anyone else made the move from a warm to cold area... I'm up for trying new things but am worried I will hate it, and then be stuck in PA! Opinions of living in Philly or Houston? Commuting to school?

Thanks!
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

kcf

• View Profile
Re: Living in Houston v. Philly
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:08:34 AM »
I would call Brad Lidge and see what he thinks.

Are you planning on living in Philly proper if you go to Temple? If you go to Penn State, is Philly the only place you'll be looking for a job?
163/3.77
IN: Minnesota

WL: UCLA

PENDING: Indiana

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:19:58 AM »
I live in Austin now and LOVE it. I'm also a baby about cold weather... mainly just driving in the ice. I wouldnt say I LOVE Houston, I could probably get adjusted to it though. I would hate the Houston traffic. I like living somewhere large enough to have things to do, jobs available... but I hate traffic - which obviously could be avoided to some extent depending on where/how close you'd live to a school.

How is Philly very different from Houston? To me it would seem they are both very large cities... I would assume they would resemble each other? 

I'm in at Penn State, waiting on Temple, but semi-positive I will get it.  If I decide to move to PA, choosing between Temple and Penn State will be another topic :) I really like Penn State but from what I hear Temple is the way to go. I'm planning to make a visit up there for ASD end of March. 

In response to kcf, I'd be open to finding a job whereever if I went to Temple or Penn State.  I've even looked into the possibility of coming back to Texas after law school, and taking the Texas bar.  I realize it would be much harder to find a job, but if I stuck with public interest/government, as I am considering, I already work for the State of Texas and know many people who attended law school out-of-state. Just an idea. Right now I'm at the "I have no clue where I want to live/work for the rest of my life..." Rather stressful :)

Thank for all replies!

Yossarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 10:26:15 AM »
Im not really interested in the houston v. philly part, just info on philly.
How is the cost of living in philly? Avg rent for 1br in a decent area? How is the parks system? Public transportation? Which areas are good places to live as a student?
W&L '11

cisforcookie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »
Imagine the coldest day you can ever remember in texas. Maybe on that day everything shut down because people were so frightened of the cold. I think the record low for houston was like 5 degrees F. With the wind chill, philly will frequently approach that temperature in the winter. people bundle up, and use alot of moisturizer. It'll snow every year, but not _that_ much. WHen there's ice on the roads, people avoid driving.

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 10:35:15 AM »
Thats good, I wont be the only one in hibernation :) I think the lowest temp in Austin it was this year was around 28-30 degrees... we never had solid ice (yet) this winter! And I LOVE it :) But I also love trying new things...

kcf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 10:36:03 AM »
I'd say anecdotally that Philadelphia traffic is much, much easier to deal with than Houston. I could back that up if I could just find... ah, here we go. http://tti.tamu.edu/documents/mobility_report_2007.pdf

(But you still have to be awfully alert when driving through the city because oftentimes drivers from New Jersey will find their way across the river and pretend that one-way streets are actually traffic circles.)

I would say certain areas of Philadelphia are more walkable, generally speaking, than Houston. Someone else noted in another thread, correctly, that Philly has bad pizza, which is an important consideration.

Houston is probably a little bit cheaper, though Philly experiences nowhere near the COL of, say, New York.

People in Philadelphia aren't jerks, but you may have to deal with a certain level of surly from your cheesesteak guys.

Right now I'm at the "I have no clue where I want to live/work for the rest of my life..." Rather stressful :)

I am RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.  :-\
163/3.77
IN: Minnesota

WL: UCLA

PENDING: Indiana

Yossarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »
thanks dischord your post was very helpful! I did mean the parks in the city, i like to run/bike and enjoy doing so in a park as opposed to the street. i have lived in nyc for the past 6 years but i dont really know the ins-and-outs of philly neighborhoods and how they would compare to say the lower east side(somewhat affordable, residents are mostly students and older working class people while nightlife/restaurants in area are somewhat trendy and always crowded). 550-650 for a 1br makes me very excited haha.

if living in philly i would be going to Rutgers-camden and commuting across the river, so i would probably limit my housing search to areas within walking distance to the patco or a quick train/bus to it. don't know how much you know about those areas but any info is appreciated! 

edit: also how would you recommend finding apartments? craigslist? realtors?
W&L '11

cisforcookie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 11:04:03 AM »
heh. i didn't mean to suggest that philly was an iceberg, but, being from the general area, I can definitely attest to wind chills below 20, especially in the morning, being not uncommon. the straight temperature average low is going to be in the mid 20s in the winter. I think the wind chill here was like 5 degrees a week or two ago. the only time i care about temperature is usually in the morning when I'm going to my car to drive to work, and it will usually warm up throughout the day. i often wear a ski mask during my commute in the winter because walking from the house to the car and from the car to the office is very uncomfortable on my face. I imagine that it'd be a pretty large difference from texas. personally, i'd take more cold days to get rid of some of these hot and humid days that pretty much ruin large portions of the summer for me.

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »
cisforcookie -- you are right that Philly is windy.  VERY windy.  I don't think the summer is hot OR humid enough, but I'm from DC 

I did a summer internship in DC - I COMPLETELY AGREE!

If I went to Penn State - Carlisle Campus, would it be possible to live in Philly? I was thinking I'd have to live in Harrisburg? My boyfriend's family and friends are all from Sckyukill County - however you spell it.  Not that I care to live THERE but ultimately closer than farther would be most desired.

I'm thinking I'd be happy in Philly... just cant come to terms with telling my parents/family that I'd be moving several states away! I suppose its reality that most people come to deal with...