Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT score 140, GPA 3.19 - Can i still get in to law school  (Read 7216 times)

Pinky80

• View Profile
LSAT score 140, GPA 3.19 - Can i still get in to law school
« on: February 28, 2008, 04:22:12 PM »
So i took the 02/02/2008 Lsat and i bombed 140. My GPA isn't terrific either, 3.19. I applied to University of Houston and some other 2nd tier law schools. Then i applied to some 3rd and 4th tier law schools just incase, like South Texas College of Law and Texas Southern University. Since my score and GPA are pretty abysmal, can anyone tell me if i have a chance at the two last schools? Please be honest, no wisecracks, this is very serious for me. Thanks!

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT score 140, GPA 3.19 - Can i still get in to law school
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 04:31:02 PM »
Not to bring you down, but a 140 is a very low score.  It is unlikely that with your GPA you will be able to get into the schools you mentioned.  How long did you study for the LSAT?  If you are serious about going to law school I think you should definitely retake.  Even 5 more points could make a huge difference.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
you should withdraw your applications this year, enroll in an LSAT prep course over the summer, and retake in September.  the courses are expensive, but if you get a part-time job now, you will be able to save up some money to make this happen.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

literaryTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 05:06:32 PM »
You can't fix your gpa at this point, but you can definitely work on the LSAT, and then in your apps you can say why your gpa is only a 3.19 (sick grandma? you were sick?) and explain the jump. I personally got a 155 the first time (those logic games made me freak and i couldnt think, i had to christmas-tree it) and then, with ONLY the lsac lsat book, i practiced for a month and brought my score up to a 162. I have a friend who took a kaplan course and got a 154 all three times (yes, 3!) that he took it, so I'm kind of... against spending $1000+ on a course that doesnt seem to help.
------
3.49 GPA, 162 LSAT
In: FSU, Stetson, Pacific, FL Coastal
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=literaryturtle

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »
kaplan LSAT courses are not the best example of available LSAT courses.  for me, i lacked the discipline to study effectively on my own; the testmaster's course i took forced me to spend at least three or four hours a day working through LSAT problems.  the instruction was also exceedingly helpful.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

pulvillus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 05:46:01 PM »
kaplan LSAT courses are not the best example of available LSAT courses.  for me, i lacked the discipline to study effectively on my own; the testmaster's course i took forced me to spend at least three or four hours a day working through LSAT problems.  the instruction was also exceedingly helpful.

ditto

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 06:34:40 PM »
You can't fix your gpa at this point, but you can definitely work on the LSAT, and then in your apps you can say why your gpa is only a 3.19 (sick grandma? you were sick?) and explain the jump. I personally got a 155 the first time (those logic games made me freak and i couldnt think, i had to christmas-tree it) and then, with ONLY the lsac lsat book, i practiced for a month and brought my score up to a 162. I have a friend who took a kaplan course and got a 154 all three times (yes, 3!) that he took it, so I'm kind of... against spending $1000+ on a course that doesnt seem to help.

And I don't mean to come across as an ass, but just cause your friend didn't improve from a prep. course (albeit, a prep course that most people on this board warn against), doesn't mean that it can't help (I'd venture to guess that MOST people do improve from a prep. course; now whether or not they could've done that one their own, that's a whole new discussion).

I agree with the above posters, a prep. course sort of puts you into the frame of mind to study and gives you necessary resources to that end. Can you do all this without a formal training course? Certainly.

NOTE: Even if you take a course, the course is only as effective as much as you study on your own, outside of class, doing homework, etc.

But I'm of the opinion that taking a test prep. course helps significantly and if you can afford it, take one.

Rigel Rising

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 08:34:33 PM »
Withdraw your apps before you get rejected. Retake the LSAT and score a 180. Go to a mid T14 school.

fightintxag

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 10:19:33 PM »
UH part time medians = 3.32/159.  No chance.

STCL part time medians = 3.13/151 giving an index score of 2.73.  Your numbers yield an index score of 2.49.  No chance.

TSU medians = 2.91/147 giving an index score of 2.51.  Your numbers yield an index score of 2.30.  If you were applying early and were a URM w/ excellent soft factors you might have a shot, but probably not this late.

I'd say withdraw your apps, bust your ass for the June test, and apply early next cycle.

namelessliar

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 10:32:22 PM »
I second what everyone else is saying.  Pull out now and reattack next year.  I took the Sep test and bombed as well with a 145.  I was DEVASTATED but I knew how I needed to study for the next test.  I retook in Dec. and got a 156.  I was literally dancing when I found out I got a 156 (even though most would scoff at that score).  If I had bombed my retake I would have waited a year and studied my ASS off.  Best of luck to you though, I really hope the best for you.