• View Profile
    • LSN

woeisme

• Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Is what this website says true?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »
Someone on TLS sent me this link ... is there truth to it?

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 06:31:02 PM »
And maybe it is just me, but my impression was that graduating from Yale, Vandy, Virginia and Cornell in no way hampered your ability to get a job as a trial lawyer.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »
Deloggio is a horrible source of information and represents much of what is wrong with the law school admissions world.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »
Read closely.

The first is ONLY talking about schools that compete in a SPECIFIC MOCK TRIAL competition.

The other is talking about competition in a SPECIFIC MOOT COURT competition.

MOOT COURT IS NOT THE SAME THING AS MOCK TRIAL.

Just because one school or another chooses not to participate in a specific competition does in no way reflect its ability to train you as a trial lawyer.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 07:09:20 PM »
Read closely.

The first is ONLY talking about schools that compete in a SPECIFIC MOCK TRIAL competition.

Just because one school or another chooses not to participate in a specific competition does in no way reflect its ability to train you as a trial lawyer.

And yet Deloggio says...

So what does this mean to you? If you really want to be hired as a trial lawyer, I would advise going to a school in that last group. If you know you want some litigation experience to be part of your legal education, but don't necessarily want to work exclusively as a litigator, look at the middle two lists. Use the first list only if you're sure that transactional work is in your future.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 07:13:57 PM »
Read closely.

What!?! but Deloggio says

If you really want to be hired as a trial lawyer, I would advise going to a school in that last group. If you know you want some litigation experience to be part of your legal education, but don't necessarily want to work exclusively as a litigator, look at the middle two lists. Use the first list only if you're sure that transactional work is in your future.

Deloggio is just clueless.  I feel for those kids that give her thousands of dollars...

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 07:43:23 PM »
Deloggio's conclusion should evidently be false to anyone who has taken the LSAT.  In order to compete in that mock trial tournament, it is necessary but not sufficient to attend one of those schools.  Not only must you attend, but you must get on the mock trial team.

Even then, you have to buy into his assumption that this one mock trial competition represents quality of litigators produced by a school. 

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 08:13:51 PM »
Her list of top trial advocacy schools looks like it includes all the best ones.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 08:15:34 PM »
Oh shoot, I just read the title and assumed we were voting on whether LSD was true. I voted yes twice. Sorry if I'm throwing off the data.