Law School Discussion

FAFSA Q- Can I deduct my tuition?

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
FAFSA Q- Can I deduct my tuition?
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:11:35 AM »
I am trying to fill out my fafsa and was wondering where I can deduct my tuition costs. I have about $28k in costs for tuition, and I am hoping I can put that somewhere on the fafsa. They ask for scholarship info, so can tuition just be deducted from gross income??

My EFC was waaat too high. And I think the reason is because my scholarships need to be weighed out by tuition costs.

Many thanks for any advice.

Re: FAFSA Q- Can I deduct my tuition?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 08:54:41 AM »
There is no place to deduct cost of tuition on the FAFSA.  Inform the financial aid offices of schools you're interested in directly about a situation of that kind -- it may or may not affect their decision, but the FAFSA itself is not designed to account for spending, only for income.

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
Re: FAFSA Q- Can I deduct my tuition?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:55:23 AM »
There is no place to deduct cost of tuition on the FAFSA.  Inform the financial aid offices of schools you're interested in directly about a situation of that kind -- it may or may not affect their decision, but the FAFSA itself is not designed to account for spending, only for income.

thnaks. i am actually a returning student, so i suppose they know how much tuition costs. this year my EFC is above the cost of tuition, so i will probably lose my grant.