Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 170/3.48 - Where does this put me?  (Read 1029 times)

XYF

• View Profile
170/3.48 - Where does this put me?
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:44:30 AM »
I'm just trying to get a sense of where I should be applying to in the fall, and whether it is worth the effort to try the LSAT once again. (I was having a bad day on my second try, but I think I got lucky with the guesses. My practice scores got to be about a couple points higher.)

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 170/3.48 - Where does this put me?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:52:46 AM »
I would shoot for the T-14 from Michigan on down, except for Berkeley and probably Duke.  If you don't have work experience, Northwestern is probably out as well.  Round things out with some schools like WashU St. Louis, Washington and Lee, and other schools you are interested in around the 15-35 range.  If you think you could pull off 173+, I'd probably retake.  Either way, good luck.   

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »
I think you can apply to any school and not be wasting your money. An A-/B+ GPA is probably in the 30% for GPA's and your LSAT is probably close to what 96 percentile. That would imply that you have a chance anywhere.

Clearly the big three would be difficult, but would by no means be wasting dough. It seems whenever people apply with stats like this the answer is always, "Wherever you want!" Your stats are in the top percentiles, so that would imply that you can get into top schools. So pick the ones you want to attend, making sure to pick some safeties (again, any ones you want, you have top scores) and apply there.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

ac34

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:52:33 AM »
I have very similar stats.

For people in your (and my) situation, it seems like places like Michigan, Georgetown, and Virginia are good bets, with Penn, NYU, and Columbia as obtainable reaches, and BU, GW, Fordham, etc. as safeties.
Michigan 2011

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:58:26 AM »
Just a quick follow-up: I also think with your numbers it might make sense to choose one of NYU, Columbia, Chicago or Penn and go ED if you want to maximize your chance to get into a "top" school.  Your financial aid will suffer but it might be worth it for you depending on what your priorities are.  NYU in particular seems more lenient with ED acceptances.

gladiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Politics Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 11:02:37 AM »
HYS? Why do people insist on wasting $250 to apply to these schools. Nobody with a 3.48/170 is getting into them unless they have some amazing soft factor and the OP hasn't said anything about curing cancer. I'm sorry for being a downer but seriously go buy yourself something nice or put it in the bank, don't throw the money away on Harvard, Yale, and Stanford rejections. You'll be perfectly happy when you end up at a school probably in the 8-16 range, maybe even CCN if you're one of the lucky ones among us.

ac34

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 11:08:24 AM »
HYS? Why do people insist on wasting $250 to apply to these schools. Nobody with a 3.48/170 is getting into them unless they have some amazing soft factor and the OP hasn't said anything about curing cancer. I'm sorry for being a downer but seriously go buy yourself something nice or put it in the bank, don't throw the money away on Harvard, Yale, and Stanford rejections. You'll be perfectly happy when you end up at a school probably in the 8-16 range, maybe even CCN if you're one of the lucky ones among us.

Someone with those stats could have a tiny chance at Harvard and Stanford (probably not at Yale) if their other factors are particularly strong. I think that $250 is a small price to pay just to find out. I'm sure that I won't get into any of those, but if I have even the slightest chance, I'd have greater regrets about never taking that chance than about losing the $250.
Michigan 2011

gladiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Politics Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 11:16:30 AM »
The OP admitted soft factors are solid not special. I see literally zero people on LSN who have gotten into any of YHS without the amazing numbers or amazing soft factors. If it was 2% I could understand but 0.001% at best I'd rather have the $250.

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 11:20:56 AM »
The OP admitted soft factors are solid not special. I see literally zero people on LSN who have gotten into any of YHS without the amazing numbers or amazing soft factors. If it was 2% I could understand but 0.001% at best I'd rather have the $250.

TITCR.  The OP has virtually no chance of HYS with his GPA, unless he's a URM. 

(So many acronyms in this post.)
Columbia 2011

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 11:24:02 AM »
Just a quick follow-up: I also think with your numbers it might make sense to choose one of NYU, Columbia, Chicago or Penn and go ED if you want to maximize your chance to get into a "top" school.  Your financial aid will suffer but it might be worth it for you depending on what your priorities are.  NYU in particular seems more lenient with ED acceptances.

This is really good advice.  I would choose the one that makes the most sense for you, and really put a lot of effort into that application. 
Columbia 2011