Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Hastings vs. University of Illinois Urbana Champagne  (Read 1716 times)

upgrade

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 858
    • View Profile
Re: UC Hastings vs. University of Illinois Urbana Champagne
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 02:36:37 PM »
I would really think hard about this whole situation before going to either school if I were you.  It doesn't sound like you're very prepared to deal with not making top quarter at either place, and there's a 75% chance that will happen.

Not true.  Its not like grades are a lottery where you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting a "winning" top quarter score.  Eveyone who gets into the class has an equal chance of finishing in the top 25%

If everyone has an equal chance of placing in the top 25%, doesn't everyone also have an equal chance of placing in the bottom 75%?

TheMaddRapper

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 80
    • View Profile
Re: UC Hastings vs. University of Illinois Urbana Champagne
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »
That's definitely true.  People with low LSATs and those who can't spell are less likely to win.  But law exam grading isn't exactly predictable.

Sylvester Pennoyer

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
Re: UC Hastings vs. University of Illinois Urbana Champagne
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »
Well... yeah, on paper at least. 

My point is that you can't forecast law school performance in terms of probability.  100% of the students that finish the first year finish the first year.  Likewise, 75% of the class finishes in the top 75%, and 10% in the top 10%.  That's obvious, but it has nothing to do with guaging how a particular individual will perform.

Its more accurate to figure that you will have a 100% chance of finishing exactly where you stack up in the class in a given semester.  Determing where that happens to be is much more complex than simply recognizing that most people don't finish at the top of the class.

GPA/LSAT doesn't inform this.  The person who barely makes it in has the same opportunity to finish at the top (or bottom) of the class as someone far above the school's medians. 

upgrade

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 858
    • View Profile
Re: UC Hastings vs. University of Illinois Urbana Champagne
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 03:45:04 PM »
Well... yeah, on paper at least. 

My point is that you can't forecast law school performance in terms of probability.  100% of the students that finish the first year finish the first year.  Likewise, 75% of the class finishes in the top 75%, and 10% in the top 10%.  That's obvious, but it has nothing to do with guaging how a particular individual will perform.

Its more accurate to figure that you will have a 100% chance of finishing exactly where you stack up in the class in a given semester.  Determing where that happens to be is much more complex than simply recognizing that most people don't finish at the top of the class.

Ok, so it seems you are advocating that everyone has the same chance to finish at any position in the class.  Your original response took issue with the "there's a 75% chance that will happen" comment in reference to not finishing in the top 25%.  Your subsequent statements seem to support the statement you originally tried to refute.


Sylvester Pennoyer

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
Re: UC Hastings vs. University of Illinois Urbana Champagne
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 04:32:55 PM »

Not true.  Its not like grades are a lottery where you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting a "winning" top quarter score.  Eveyone who gets into the class has the same opportunity to finish in the top 25%. 

Your particular matrix of talent, luck and effort (relative to everyone else's) will determine your spot.

Fixed?

UnoriginalAndrew

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 330
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
Re: UC Hastings vs. University of Illinois Urbana Champagne
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 01:56:51 AM »
I'd like to know what does affect chances of finishing towards the top of the class.  Since grades are not entirely predictable, there is some random chance.  But I bet someone who heavily prepped their LSAT and got a high GPA at a college with heavy grade inflation and a low workload would not have the same odds of finishing in the top 25% as someone who went to a rigorous school, and got an LSAT indicative of their ability.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011