Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Villanova job prospects  (Read 824 times)

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Villanova job prospects
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:26:43 PM »
Seems like a decent school in a nice area.  Also a little less pricey than some of the other privates.  What are job possibilities like for the majority of students?  I keep hearing Temple is best in Philly but Villanova has similar stats.

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
Re: Villanova job prospects
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:32:07 PM »
Seems like a decent school in a nice area.  Also a little less pricey than some of the other privates.  What are job possibilities like for the majority of students?  I keep hearing Temple is best in Philly but Villanova has similar stats.

There is that little school called Penn
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 12:47:27 PM »
What's Penn?

Really though, I didn't include Penn because most grads there go to NYC. 

Here's my thought - is Villanova substantially better than let's say, PSU-Dickinson for the Philly market?  Is the Philly scene like NYC, where it seems to be either biglaw or $50,000?

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:08:38 PM »
You keep hearing Temple even though Villanova's stats are pretty much the same because a) Temple grads dominate the Philly market; and b) Temple is way more affordable than 'Nova for an equal - if not slightly better - education.

I have no idea how PSU-Dickinson places in Philly.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

gt1693

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »
I don't see why everyone makes such a big deal out of the price difference between Villanova and Temple.  For out of state students, the difference is only $6K/year for a total of $18K.  Just to be fair...

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »
I don't see why everyone makes such a big deal out of the price difference between Villanova and Temple.  For out of state students, the difference is only $6K/year for a total of $18K.  Just to be fair...

I'm in-state, so to me the difference is huge.  But even so, $6K/year is nothing to sneeze at when the quality of the two schools is pretty much the same.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 02:43:51 PM »
My thing is I only got into Temple PT, and North Philly at night does not excite me much.  Nova I am likely to get waitlisted by, and it is in a very nice area.  Plus, although Nova is more privey than Temple, it is also less pricey than similarly ranked private schools in the Northeast.

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:15:22 PM »
Is the Philly scene like NYC, where it seems to be either biglaw or $50,000?

Yes.

Small PI firms start around 43k/year, which is on par with the DA and PD's offices.  If you are willing to bill 2200-2400 hours/year (approx 70 hrs/week in office) you can get a gutter ID job at a midsize firm for 60k.

If you're top 10% at Villanova and make law review, you'll have a decent shot at biglaw.  Otherwise, be prepared to work for 45-50k/year.  A lot of 'Nova grads end up in doc review because they can't pay their bills otherwise.

TimBeConfused

• Enforcing the Guarantee!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 06:39:36 PM »
This is an interesting discussion to me because I am also trying to figure out where would be the best place for me between PSU, Villanova and Temple also.  It would probably be Temple hands down if it was in a nicer area but while I was visiting there was a shooting in a subway station 3 blocks away just off campus.  I would be commuting via regional rail but even just going to and from the station makes me a little weary.

I doubt I will be looking for big law opportunities more of a clerkship, state/federal job kind of path for me as of right now.  How do you think Villanova and Temple play for those types of jobs in the Philly area as well as Dickinson?
If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour? ~ Thomas Jefferson

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 07:28:01 PM »
Is the Philly scene like NYC, where it seems to be either biglaw or $50,000?

Yes.

Small PI firms start around 43k/year, which is on par with the DA and PD's offices.  If you are willing to bill 2200-2400 hours/year (approx 70 hrs/week in office) you can get a gutter ID job at a midsize firm for 60k.

If you're top 10% at Villanova and make law review, you'll have a decent shot at biglaw.  Otherwise, be prepared to work for 45-50k/year.  A lot of 'Nova grads end up in doc review because they can't pay their bills otherwise.

Only top 10% and Law Review for Biglaw?  That's as bad, or worse, than the NYC T2 schools.  I was thinking it might be a little easier in Philly with less competition.  That scenario sounds like it sucks.  But I don't hear that much complaining from Philly T2 grads like I do from the NYC T2 grads on the message boards. 

I'm assuming you went to Temple - better there?