Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: weekend prep courses  (Read 2814 times)

jgomez

weekend prep courses
« on: March 20, 2004, 03:25:32 PM »
Any thoughts on part time weekend courses for LSAT prep? 

I was looking at testmasters and they have a weekend course for around 350$ and supposedly you get the same information, like study materials, etc.

The only thing I can think of that's bad is that it's so close to the test date.

Any ideas?

LS2005

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: weekend prep courses
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 07:26:20 PM »
I'm also debating on whether to take Testmasters' weekend course.  But I think the differences between this and their 80 hour course is that the material that will be included in the cheaper package is a book that's only 400 pages as compared to 15 books for the more expensive package, and you won't get full access to all past LSAT questions (which I don't really mind since I've bought a few from LSAC already.)  But I really don't think they could teach a lot of their techniques in only 16 hours as compared to an 80 hr course.  So instead, I'm also considering buying the textbooks but not attending any courses.  Does anyone know will all the in-course techniques be in the books?  Hope people who have actually taken the course could give me some feedback.

Thanks a million :)

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 09:13:12 PM »
Any thoughts on part time weekend courses for LSAT prep? 

My opinion having taken one? It was a waste of time and money. If you're able to read a study guide and have been practicing on your own, there is nothing that they can 'show' you in that short of a time that will drastically help you. All they did was walk through the question types for each section and do a couple practice exams.  I honestly felt like I took nothing away from a weekend class, with the exception of the "10 More Actual LSAT's" that they used as a study guide - but it sure wasn't worth the $350 I paid for the class.

Karen W.

JuanPRL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 12:34:34 PM »
I echo your sentiments Karen.  I took the TestMaster Weekend course, and it was a waste of time and money.  I learned nothing, I could not apply any of the so called teaching the 3L instructor gave.  I was very disappointed. 

bruiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 01:27:48 PM »
Hey there!

I just wanted to put in my two cents.  I took the full Testmasters 2 month class and loved it.  I very much improved my score.  I will say though that the books from the long course actually contain VERY LITTLE by way of concepts (this was one of my complaints with the class).  My roommate took the short course and liked it because it helped her rethink ways of working with her weaker sections.  I actually think her text contained more concepts rather than sample problems.

Good luck!

LS2005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 04:44:53 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for all your feedbacks.
Bruiser, was the book that came with the short course the one with 400 pages or so?
I know the set of books (15) would cost half the price of the long course.  I wonder if the book that came with the short course...would it also sell for half price of that course (ie. 350/2 = 175)?
Did anyone else get the 400 pages book and find the concepts useful?

Thanks for all replies.