Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Threatened By LSN Member  (Read 1953 times)

natilaw2008

• View Profile
Threatened By LSN Member
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:27:21 PM »
Greetings Folks,

Someone on LSN out of the blue threatened me that he would contact two of my pending applicant schools and pose as me, screwing up my chances for admission. He was able to find out my full name and location...and said he would use it against me. I've been insulted by this person numerous times for my race and religion. I'm not sure exactly how to deal with this situation and am confused whether it is A.) a hoax and B.) possible. If it is B.) possible, should I contact these two schools about the haze?

Please, I need some advice!
Thx.

SabrinaK

• View Profile
Re: Threatened by LSN member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:29:29 PM »
Hmm...that's a tough one.  If you think this crazy would really do it, you might want to inform the schools.  Maybe tell them to ask for your social security number or something if 'you' call.  But I could be completely off base.
Alan Shore: You know I'm not about to go to Texas and not ride the mechanical bull, Chelina. That would be like going to Los Angeles and not sleeping with Paris Hilton.

Lock & Load: University of San Diego 2011!

natilaw2008

• View Profile
Re: Threatened by LSN member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:33:49 PM »
oh... man...so confused at what I should do.
Can't believe I'm getting hazed in this way.

insomniac

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Threatened By LSN Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:25:36 PM »
Did the LSN moderators have any suggestions? You'd think they could at least sort-of trace it back, if only to a throw away email account. You could also close to non-logged-in comments, so at least you don't have to read any more drivel, unless it's linkable to a user.
But, I'm really sorry. That totally stinks.
And, yes, I'd probably call the admissions offices. Be vague, but make sure they don't take any information regarding you without a check/balance. Unspecified stalker/impersonator/crazy acquaintance on first psychotic break vibe.

kev199

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 09:33:24 PM »
Not sure how they got your name.  If you feel uncomfortable, either call or email the Law schools letting them know of the situation.  They will be understanding.
Showing that waitlisters have a chance!

ram2032

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 06:23:23 PM »
I would take it seriously.  When I arrived at college my first day, the only record of me they had was that I had sent them an email saying I was going to withdraw.  I most definitely had not done that.  So we had to scramble to get me reinstated (funny, though, they were cashing our monstrous tuition checks already)...meaning housing, classes, everything.  They traced the email to some random account in bumfuck NJ.  I suspect it was someone I know but I have no proof.  My advice is contact the schools and just give them a heads up - I'm sure it's not the first time they've encountered bull like this and it's better to be safe.
3.6/171
Accepted: Duke, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, NYU, Michigan, BC, GW, BU
Rejected: Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Harvard
Waitlisted: Penn, Columbia, Chicago, UVA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ram2032
Georgetown Law '11

natilaw2008

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:52:46 AM »
How do I approach this? What do I tell them?

Are they going to believe me? Or think something is wrong?

Duke Admissions Committee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:37:12 AM »
Whoops, I hope we didn't leak your info.

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:07:02 AM »
How do I approach this? What do I tell them?

Are they going to believe me? Or think something is wrong?

If I were in your shoes, I'd use the phrase "identity theft" without going into specifics.  It lends credibility due to its increased presence in our society, and at the same time, you don't have to mention LSD, LSN, or internet anything.

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 07:01:45 PM »
He said this exactly " Oh by the way, I called Vanderbilt and Emory and told them how of a cock sucker "MY NAME" you are. Welcome to Hell female dog"

This is exactly what he said.