Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Denver  (Read 22094 times)

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
Re: University of Denver
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2008, 12:39:12 AM »
Matthies...may I ask you what kind of laptop you have?  Thanks! 

Oh I am the WORST person to emulate on laptops. I have a HUGE honking beast of a laptop, last years version of this monster http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1730?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

It weighs like 50 pounds and has a 17 inch widescreen display. But, I donít study at school AT ALL. I just come to class and leave. So I only have to carry it to and from my car. I have bad ADD and there are just too many distractions at school for me to study (you would think it would be worse at home but its not, I have a home office that is shut off from the world, well except for LSD).

The lights dimming part was pretty good :)  I have a Macbook. I love it.

So in picking my laptop what was most important to me was a desktop replacement with POWER. I have a docking station at home with external monitor, printer, scanner, fax, full size keyboard and mouse, high speed net, back up drives and speakers. I just snap my laptop into the docking station and everything is connected at once. No plugging this or that in. So basically 95% of the time my laptop acts like a desktop, so portability was not important to me. I seriously bet I have the largest laptop at DU, the lights dim when I plug it in :)

Paid the seat deposit at DU

familyman

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »
Request for a current DU student: If you know anyone in admissions, can you please ask them if they plan to send out another batch of admittances anytime soon now that the first deposit deadline has passed? 7 months and still waiting for a decision, a letter, an email - something from DU!I did verify that I am complete and at committee.

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2008, 01:42:35 PM »
Request for a current DU student: If you know anyone in admissions, can you please ask them if they plan to send out another batch of admittances anytime soon now that the first deposit deadline has passed? 7 months and still waiting for a decision, a letter, an email - something from DU!I did verify that I am complete and at committee.

Hang in there, not hear anything is always better than hearing no. I did not get my accpatnce until April I think.

I agree. . .it probably means you  are still being considered.  I didn't hear back from DU til May.  If you are really that curious, call them. . .everyone in admissions is nice.
3L @ University of Denver

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2008, 10:54:14 PM »
So I called financial aid last week and asked them if they would consider giving me more scholarship money. They said that they would get back to me sometime this week. They emailed me today and said they were going to up my scholarship offer from 15k to 20k a year. This was great news. This would have swayed my choice in favor of DU even if CU said yes (which they didn't).

I am getting pretty excited to started. Twelve grand a year for a good law school seems like a great deal to me!

I am feeling pretty grateful right now. It looks like the countless hours spent studying for the LSAT are paying off!

familyman

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2008, 11:05:03 AM »
Thanks! I agree - the admissions staff has been great, and when I call never appear to be put off!

familyman

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2008, 04:47:19 PM »
Anyone know if there is a way to tell if you have been admitted by looking at the DU status checker? It no longer says pending so I know a decision has been made. Have read some things about trying to pull up the housing application, but heard they took that down now?

familyman

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2008, 06:05:57 PM »
I applied to the PT program with approx a 156/3.0 and great soft factors. Honestly, I should get in as I have also gotten in to a few other similar ranked schools PT programs. O ya, I just checked the ststus check and I am able to open up the housing application! A while ago someone posted that if you can open that, you are admitted, but then they took that feature down. Well, I can open it so hopefully thatis good news.

familyman

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2008, 08:20:21 PM »
Yes, it is looking like my top choice and I am excited to come out to Denver. I do have a question for you about commute times. How reasonable would it be to live NW of the school, towards Broomfield or even north of there? We would likely live south, but in the event I get a job elsewhere I was just wondering if it would be doable.

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2008, 10:07:43 PM »
I don't think there is a surefire way of knowing if you are in or not, but so far if you can access the housing app you are in. Just because that has been the case 100% of the time now doesn't mean it will continue to be, but it should be encouraging.

I think we could say congrats and not be jumping the gun. Congrats!

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2008, 01:31:15 PM »
Even during rush hour, traffic in Denver isn't really that bad.  Unless you've lived in a rural area with 1 stop light for the most of your life, you'll find that Denver commute is really doable.  I have classmates who commute from Colo Springs!  Would I do it? No.  But it's certainly doable.  From Broomfield I would look at about 30-45mins depending on the time of day and how fast you drive.   ;)

Hope good news is on your way!  Let us know.
3L @ University of Denver