Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Denver  (Read 21760 times)

maesepedro

• View Profile
Re: University of Denver
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2008, 12:43:44 AM »
kill the headlights / littlemissmeeba etc... for any of you going to the shindig at DU tomorrow, care to opine with your impressions when your visits are over?  i can't visit for at least another week (and maybe not until after seat deposits are due) so any first-hand impressions from 0Ls would be great as I grind my teeth from afar...

thanks in advance

nb-for the poster regarding GSIS: if I attend, I intend on enrolling concurrently as a 2L and finish in 4 years with the JD/MA

skinsfan123

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »
I got into DU with 20k a year. At first, DU was just a backup plan, but the money has really piqued my interest. I was an International Relations major in college, so I was familiar with the quality of their IR graduate studies. Because of this, I assumed they had a quality International Law program as well. Is anyone familiar with this? I got an email saying it was nationally ranked, but even the 100th ranked school is "ranked."

Also, I really hope to be able to do a joint JD/MA in International Law and International Relations. Do many students at DU do a dual degree? Do I have to take the GRE to get accepted into the MA program or is acceptance at one school enough? If I can do both relatively easily <i.e. not having to take another standardized test> then I would definitely go to Denver.

I also know little to nothing about the city itself other than what I have read online. I live in DC <which I love>, and people say it is similar in size and general cleanliness, but the attitudes are way different. Apparently the pace is slower, people are more friendly, and though the air is hard to breath, it makes for a much more collegial atmosphere.Any notes on the city itself would be much appreciated.

Last, I went to a very small upscale liberal arts college in Pennsylvania. The student body was 90% white and at least 60% upper class. Though it was a fun time, I would like to vary it up a little bit. I only know what I've read online about the school atmosphere and the student body. If anyone can take a second to paint a picture about the campus there as in is it self contained, sprawling, diverse, clean, pretty, etc. I'd sincerely appreciate it.

I know I've asked for a ton of information, but there appears to be a number of active DU students on these boards who might be able to help.

LittleMissMeeba

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2008, 01:35:54 PM »
kill the headlights / littlemissmeeba etc... for any of you going to the shindig at DU tomorrow, care to opine with your impressions when your visits are over?  i can't visit for at least another week (and maybe not until after seat deposits are due) so any first-hand impressions from 0Ls would be great as I grind my teeth from afar...

thanks in advance

nb-for the poster regarding GSIS: if I attend, I intend on enrolling concurrently as a 2L and finish in 4 years with the JD/MA

I won't be there (broke, don't wanna miss class, broke, broke...), but I was able to tour over the summer. The building is b-e-a-utiful, and the surrounding area seems pretty nice. Everyone was friendly/helpful- I got lost and wandered into the wrong building, and a sweet professor pulled me into her office and drew a map to direct me to where I needed to be :)

My tour was with one other woman who had already been admitted to the program and was attending in the fall, so most everything was geared towards her- but that's totally understandable. I was pretty clueless at the time and content just taking everything in.

Kill The Headlights: I'm dying to hear your thoughts on this weekend, so post them a.s.a.p  ;)

skinsfan123

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2008, 01:49:45 PM »
Thanks for the info. Any clue as to why the school's ranking dropped 10 spots?

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »
I was talking to a professor the other day, and he said that february bar passage is always lower than july because the students taking in february (1) either failed the bar and are taking it again, or (2) the february test has lots of december grads that may have had to "slow down" a bit to stay in law school. 

He also recommended taking the bar in february, since it may be easier to pass. 

I am just a 1L, but I feel like the passing the bar is more of personal responsiblity than it is a responsibility of your school to make sure you pass. That is why DU's bar passage rate was a non-factor for me. 

skinsfan123

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2008, 02:06:28 PM »
Here is another question for you. Since you've been incredibly helpful so far, I think I will abuse you until you get sick of me. Hopefully I can milk you for 1 or 2 more questions.

Say I do the dual degree, which is my goal. After graduation, most of the job opportunities for a person with those qualifications are going to be in places like D.C., especially since I'd like to work for the FBI or State Department. Does DU's career center help place people in regions outside of Denver? Is there an alumni base that leaves the Rocky Mountain Region for greener pastures <term meant for purely figurative use> that I can tap in to? What are the Int. Law opportunities like in Denver? I always thought of Denver as being a trucking and shipping capital, sort of a domestic logistics center, more than a place with many multi-national companies.

The thought of living in Colorado intrigues me as I am a fan of the outdoors and open spaces. However, D.C. is my home, where my family/GF of 6 years live, and where most of the job opportunities I'd like to eventually pursue are.

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2008, 02:11:35 PM »
FBI has a Denver division and recruits from DU.  It seems like most alumni are in the mountain region, but from my talks with the CDC (career development center) they said that there are alumni around the country.  Look on martindale hubbell for attorneys that graduated from DU law and are practicing in the city you want to end up in if you want an idea. 

sorry no info on intenational law stuff other than FBI, matthies may have something for you

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2008, 02:34:47 PM »
Tag. 

I'll come back and contribute something valuable to this thread over the next couple of days.  Skins - I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Also, the Dean addressed the rankings today, and has stated that next year's incoming class will be capped at 220 (compared to almost 300 this year).  The student body has grown significantly over the last few years, apparently at the expense of higher LSATs and (perhaps corresponding?) bar passage rates.  It is the constant battle of tuition dollars v. statistics, and the school is acknowledging that statistics need to take some priority.

Anyway, I'll follow up.

2L

skinsfan123

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2008, 02:39:49 PM »
Well that is good to know.

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2008, 02:20:45 AM »
Skinsfan123: PM me w/your questions.
We are in EXTREMELY similar situations (international law, relocating after graduation, etc). . .minus the dual degree (which I considered for a while but decided against).  I've been talking to A LOT of alums, career services, current 3Ls who are moving after graduation, etc with many of the same questions you have.

Denver isn't exactly the international law capital of the country.  Many attorneys here will attest to that.  That being said, Denver has the most federal government agencies after Washington, DC.

On the location issue, I agree 100% w/Matties (as if this is new).  Outside of truly national schools, go to schools in the city, state, region you want to practice.  It is easier to network, find jobs, and get your foot in the legal community.  Also, alumni and school ties has A LOT to do with who gets hired from what school.
3L @ University of Denver