Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Denver  (Read 22110 times)

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
Re: University of Denver
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2008, 10:03:04 PM »
Still nothing from Denver..I called today and spoke with Doug.  He looked up my profile and verifid that a decision has been made, but that he couldnt give it out over the phone.  Is that normal? If I were accepted, would they have told me over the phone...?

Actually, I called and they said the same thing, it is just policy. I was accepted with a scholarship, so not saying anything over the phone is just standard.

You just have to wait for it, it could go either way.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2008, 11:17:14 PM »
Still nothing from Denver..I called today and spoke with Doug.  He looked up my profile and verifid that a decision has been made, but that he couldnt give it out over the phone.  Is that normal? If I were accepted, would they have told me over the phone...?

Actually, I called and they said the same thing, it is just policy. I was accepted with a scholarship, so not saying anything over the phone is just standard.

Oh ok...That I will! I just thought that may have been indication..I'll keep everyone posted..

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2008, 12:12:29 AM »
Oh ok...That I will! I just thought that may have been indication..I'll keep everyone posted..

as if this was in doubt! Hehe, I kid. Seriously, we all wish you luck.

LittleMissMeeba

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2008, 12:38:58 AM »

My fingers are crossed for you!!! Good luck- hopefully you'll hear something ASAP

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2008, 04:58:58 AM »
I applied to DU with the impression that the school had a strong International Law program. I am well aware of Denver's excellent reputation for high quality studies in International Relations, outside of the law program, but am not certain about their credentials for International Law. I received a $20k a year scholarship which really piqued my interest. However, I only plan on attending if I can have some assurances about being able to obtain a dual degree in International Law and International Relations. How does this process work? Do you have to pay extra tuition? Do you have to take the GREs to get accepted into the Master's program? I have had a hard time getting ahold of any deans, maybe you current DU students can help...

I'm not sure what kind of assurance you are looking for but I would consider International Law is among the three most popular concentration/area of law among students.  Top 3 Biggies: Environmental, Business, International

Joint degree: Yes, you can get a joint degree.  I know quite a few people who are getting a JD/MIS (Masters in International Studies).  No assurances though. . .I don't know your credentials nor am I an admissions officer.  You just have to apply & see.  But I think if you gain admissions into the law school, you have a fair shot at GSIS (Graduate school of international studies).  Not really sure about the application process but I know you have to apply and get accepted to both schools.  If you get into one but not the other, you can reapply. . .I think it takes 4 years (instead of 5) for the dual degree but I know people who are trying to finish in 3.  Some of the credits transfer and gets applied towards the law degree.  Extra tuition?. . .you pay for whatever credits you take.  I think they might accept your LSAT score (not sure though).  You should call the admissions office NOT the dean.  By the way. . .this applies to the JD/MBA as well.  The only difference is that you would apply to the Daniels School of Business.

Can anyone tell me about transferring into Sturm? Has anyone here done it? What do they look at? I'm looking to transfer from a tier 3.

I didn't transfer in BUT. . .I know about 10 students who transferred in this year.  I think the main thing is your 1st year grades.  Call the admissions office and ask.

My fingers are crossed for you!!! Good luck- hopefully you'll hear something ASAP

I hope good news is on its way!
3L @ University of Denver

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2008, 10:46:04 AM »
Also here is some info about scholorships, those you can apply for after 1L and national ones you can apply for now for 1L.

Hereis a listing of outside scholorships you can apply for anytime http://www.law.du.edu/finaid/prospective/outsideSchol.cfm.

Here is a listing of 2L/3L ones: http://www.law.du.edu/finaid/current/2L3LNamed.cfm

i'm assuming i'm not eligible for any of these, right?
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »
Denied at denver and seattle u..My two top choices. I may be taking the LSAT again..I only took it once...

« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »
It wasnt meant to be this cycle. I should have just accepted admission last year, but was unable too.  I'm thinking about retaking the lsat...Any thoughts? All I have so far is Thomas Jefferson...

LittleMissMeeba

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2008, 09:27:26 PM »
Denied at denver and seattle u..My two top choices. I may be taking the LSAT again..I only took it once...

Sorry man  >:(

Bleh. Sorry 'bout the news. If your desire to go to DU outweighs your general desire to 'just get' your JD, there's no harm in re-taking the LSAT. I was a 2-timer, myself, with better results the second time around. Or there's always the option of starting elsewhere and doing a transfer, but I honestly dunno how that process works.

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2008, 10:11:17 PM »
Just sucks to be admitted one year and not the next. But that shows how competitive schools are becoming.  I am going to wait the cycle out before retaking...