Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Denver  (Read 21455 times)

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
Re: University of Denver
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2008, 02:22:10 PM »
Matthies and somanyquestions, you guys/girls are current students. What would you guess the average starting salary is for people working in firms? I am just curious. I have been reading some recent threads on the impossibility of making it financially with a T2 starting salary. I was just curious, as you guys actually probably hear these statistics from your classmates.

No, I don't hear this from my classmates, or people who actually go to law school (a few maybe, but I think its the fualt of the individual, not the school; see below for fiding job results). Its 0L's who spout this BS. I personally know people with $125k offers (about average for big law in Denver), some in the 80-100kk range, and some in the 50-80k range and some PI jobes, like PD in the 35k range.

Most of the poeple I know with offers now are in the 50-80k range, with the lower salerys going to fresh from UG and the higer going to those with work experince before law school. Its all what you make of it of job search wise, the more proactive you are in your job search the more options you will have, the more reactive the less options you will have. The good jobs are out there but many are NOT advertised at all. If your in the top 30% of your class your job search is "easier" in that you can rely on OCI/mass mailing (reactive job searching, but limted to just what is advertised or offered), if not it just means you need to network (which 90% of law students really suck at)- proactive job searching, meeting pople and geting inside tips on jobs others don't know about. If you network AND have good grades, finding a good job is really easy.

The problem is, at least as I have seen, many, many, if not most, law students take a very re-active route to finding a job, let the employers hold all the cards(ie pick amoung the very best that applied to thier ad/oci) and when this fails, or does not offer the results they think they deserve, they blame thier school. Going to law school, unfortunetly, does not make you real world job hunting smart. Some folks just plain suck at taking the iniative, those poeple have worse results than those that grab for the brass ring.

That is what I was thinking. It is good to hear it from someone though. I wouldn't be depressed with an 80K job out of law school, assuming I am relatively high in the class.

I am really stoked to go visit the school this week. Matthies, are you going to be on the student panel :)?
Paid the seat deposit at DU

LittleMissMeeba

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2008, 06:54:04 PM »
Waitlisted at CU. It's better than the alternative!

The DU fin.aid office answered my e-mail today, which was wholly unexpected. They apologized for the late response, and while the e-mail wasn't particularly helpful, it was quite friendly and honest. Point for DU. I was basically told, "With 100k in loans it will be difficult to live on 50k a year, but if you pay the loans off over 25+ years it IS do-able... just challenging." Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Question for any 0L's or current law students: Did you (or are you going to)'prep' before you started law school? Do any reading? Take any courses? I'm considering checking out a few of the books on DU's admitted student website and also looking at their 5-day law school preview course. It's around $500 which is m-u-c-h cheaper than other commercial courses. Did any of you DU students partake in this? I'm not certain if it's a waste of $$$ or truly worthwhile. Any thoughts?

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »
Its nice to have friends already in your section when classes start.

which is why i'll be stalking you for you fall class selections  ;)
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

LittleMissMeeba

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2008, 07:28:08 PM »
I took DU's summer prep class when I started. Back then it was 4 weeks long, and free as I remember.

Further confirming my fears that DU is a cash-cow. I wish money grew on trees.

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2008, 08:22:56 PM »
I took DU's summer prep class when I started. Back then it was 4 weeks long, and free as I remember.

Further confirming my fears that DU is a cash-cow. I wish money grew on trees.

I did the 5 day summer prep before I started last fall.  I think that it really did help most of us know what would be expected of us in the first semester.  It is also nice to meet some people before you start. 

I think most of the people I talked to thought that it was worth it. 

« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2008, 02:25:51 PM »
Still nothing from Denver..I called today and spoke with Doug.  He looked up my profile and verifid that a decision has been made, but that he couldnt give it out over the phone.  Is that normal? If I were accepted, would they have told me over the phone...?

maesepedro

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »
I just got in via email today...i've been eyeing the thread for a while but thought I'd chime in now that the wait is over...for all you current DU types, thanks for all the advice & opinions--it's certainly helpful as we all narrow down our options.

skinsfan123

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »
I applied to DU with the impression that the school had a strong International Law program. I am well aware of Denver's excellent reputation for high quality studies in International Relations, outside of the law program, but am not certain about their credentials for International Law. I received a $20k a year scholarship which really piqued my interest. However, I only plan on attending if I can have some assurances about being able to obtain a dual degree in International Law and International Relations. How does this process work? Do you have to pay extra tuition? Do you have to take the GREs to get accepted into the Master's program? I have had a hard time getting ahold of any deans, maybe you current DU students can help...

LittleMissMeeba

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2008, 08:46:45 PM »
Paid the 1st half of the deposit today... DU it is!  ;D

kylie_johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2008, 08:58:57 PM »
Can anyone tell me about transferring into Sturm? Has anyone here done it? What do they look at? I'm looking to transfer from a tier 3.