Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Denver  (Read 22186 times)

familyman

• View Profile
Re: University of Denver
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2008, 08:21:31 PM »
Isn't it just insane that you can't just call, verify your identity, and have them friggin tell you if you have been accepted? Seriously, credit card companies do it, and virtually every other service oriented business including utilities, cell phone companies etc. do it. But for some reason, law schools like to remind you that they hold the cards and make you wait for the mail to arrive. A few weeks ago, I contacted the University of Idaho Law School to inquire about my application I submitted close to 6 months ago. I had received a simple post card saying I was complete back in October and that was it. In a very polite email, I kindly explained that I have a family and would need to plan a relocation to Idaho, and also leave my current job, and I requested to know whether a decision had been made yet. The admissions office responded with an over the top rude email that started with a question asking me if I had received their postcard that asked me not to contact them. Next, she wrote two paragraphs telling me why I shouldn't have emailed, how busy they are, and how they have no time to deal with applicants. Needless to say, I wont be attending Idaho next year. I am a military veteran - officer - with great work experience and a decent LSAT score and don't need to put up with that crap... 

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 08:59:14 PM »
I definately understand that!! I hate snobby admissions people. But I haven't had to deal with any so far.  This suspense is killing me....I'm am just hoping, praying, and wishing.....

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2008, 04:33:42 AM »
About places to live. Highlands Ranch would probably be expensive for housing. It is about 10 miles away. It would be a great place to live with a family though. I am probably going to rent there. Also, there is a light rail stop on Lincoln Ave, so you could take the lightrail. I think the website estimates times to DU from that stop at 35 minutes if I remember correctly. I think that is perfect because you don't have to worry about driving and it is long enough that you can study some each way.

I haven't spoken with any snobby admissions officers yet, there have been some seemingly uninformed ones, but none have been snobby. Then again, CU says don't contact them, so I really don't know about them as they do not allow communication  :)

I really want to hear back from CU though. The wifey and I are coming out in a week for ASW, and I am going to visit both schools and try to "feel out" the best pick. I really want the CU admit though.

But how I love Denver.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

ladivina

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »
I am really getting anxious to hear from CU as well. For those of you still waiting, when did you go complete?  I did on 1/17, so it's been over eight weeks.  I want to call!
Do you think they would rip me a new one?

Also, I want to petition for some money at DU.  When do you think it is appropriate to do so and how?

University of Denver 1L!
_____________________________ ________________
"Non tutta la frutta fa maturare"

LittleMissMeeba

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2008, 01:09:37 PM »
My CU app was completed on 1-10. I still haven't heard anything. I called last Friday and they told me, "Something should be in the mail by the end of next week" and that the admission committee was still taking a look at it. My chances of acceptance aren't even that good- I figued I might be thrown in with the people who get rejected just as soon as their applications are sent in. Who knows- maybe this waiting means that I'm being considered for a W/L.

As for petitioning for more $$ from DU. I believe I read that some people called to the fin.aid. office and were unsuccessful, that the 'time to call' would have been ages ago. This week I send an e-mail explaining my situation and asked for additional funding. All they did was re-send me my financial award letter. I was pretty put off by that, but oh well... I may give the office a call today, just for the heck of it.

Juice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2008, 02:14:47 PM »
Didn't mean to come off as too much of a hater - my interactions with other admissions offices have been great, especially Denver, and it was just the Idaho experience that rubbed me the wrong way.

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2008, 12:21:05 AM »
I called right after I was accepted and asked them to up my scholarship. They said to call back after seat deposits.

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2008, 11:44:48 AM »
About places to live. Highlands Ranch would probably be expensive for housing. It is about 10 miles away. It would be a great place to live with a family though. I am probably going to rent there. Also, there is a light rail stop on Lincoln Ave, so you could take the lightrail. I think the website estimates times to DU from that stop at 35 minutes if I remember correctly. I think that is perfect because you don't have to worry about driving and it is long enough that you can study some each way.

I haven't spoken with any snobby admissions officers yet, there have been some seemingly uninformed ones, but none have been snobby. Then again, CU says don't contact them, so I really don't know about them as they do not allow communication  :)

I really want to hear back from CU though. The wifey and I are coming out in a week for ASW, and I am going to visit both schools and try to "feel out" the best pick. I really want the CU admit though.

But how I love Denver.

I take the light rail everyday from Lincoln Station.  If you are thinking of renting, there are several places right around Lincoln Station that would allow you to walk to the train, or have an extremely short drive.  It takes a little bit less than 35 min to get to the University stop.  I leave Lincoln on the 5:03, and get to University on by 5:25 or so. 

Let me know if you have any questions about living in the Lone Tree area!

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2008, 01:42:34 PM »
tag.

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2008, 03:08:52 PM »

But how I love Denver.

I take the light rail everyday from Lincoln Station.  If you are thinking of renting, there are several places right around Lincoln Station that would allow you to walk to the train, or have an extremely short drive.  It takes a little bit less than 35 min to get to the University stop.  I leave Lincoln on the 5:03, and get to University on by 5:25 or so. 

Let me know if you have any questions about living in the Lone Tree area!

My wife and I are thinking about renting at Lincoln Pointe. Have you heard about it? We are going to go and see the apartments next week.