Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Denver  (Read 22170 times)

backpacking

• View Profile
Re: University of Denver
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 09:42:04 AM »
Denver vs. Seattle vs. Catholic vs. Buffalo for international law/international human rights law?

No money that i am aware of for any of the schools, with the exception of buffalo which is in-state. The idea of ending up so deep in debt frightens me but i don't know how many opportunities are available in buffalo (and it is, after all, buffalo).

Any advice is more than welcomed!

tiefenbr

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Denver Vs. Colorado
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 10:03:56 AM »
I'm from Colorado and go to CU.  I would think Colorado is an easy choice over Denver.  Boulder is without a doubt the nicest place to live in Colorado, while Denver is very low on the list of places I would live in Colorado.  Plus, CU is ranked a lot higher and they have a nice shiny new law school.

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 03:30:18 PM »
From what I have seen of Boulder, it seems like a great place to live.  Sofar, I really like being in Denver (I actually live south of Denver)

It just seems like there is so much more going on in Denver.

I like how Matthies worded it though, Boulder would be a nice place to retire. 

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 04:21:36 PM »
From what I have seen of Boulder, it seems like a great place to live.  Sofar, I really like being in Denver (I actually live south of Denver)

It just seems like there is so much more going on in Denver.

I like how Matthies worded it though, Boulder would be a nice place to retire. 

And Boulder is a popular place for retirees.  It's a quaint little town with pretty mountain views and only 30 mins from a Denver.  Besides, it's really cute.

I'm from Colorado and go to CU.  I would think Colorado is an easy choice over Denver.  Boulder is without a doubt the nicest place to live in Colorado, while Denver is very low on the list of places I would live in Colorado.  Plus, CU is ranked a lot higher and they have a nice shiny new law school.

Are you at the law school or UG at CU? Becuase there is a CU thread with people wanting info on the law school you might want to check out if you can answer some of thier questions, not many CU law students on here!

But why all the city of Denver hate? I admit Boulder is very pretty, and I would not mind retiring there someday, but there are not many lawyer jobs in Boulder. Odds are good if you want to be a lawyer in CO you’re going to end up in Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, or Pueblo before Boulder. And of those choices, hands down I would take living in Denver myself.  

Yea, why the hate?  I know a few current CU law students & they are all really nice so I won't judge based on your response. :P  I would say that the two schools have a good relationship (very friendly competition but nobody thinking they are better than the other because they go to CU or DU).  In fact, some of the organizations I'm a part of at DU regularly organizes events with CU.  Both schools are also invited to the same networking events, participate in intra school competitions, etc.  I've been to the CU law building but I prefer DU's. . .ours seems more open (which, by the way is new & shiney). . .but, that's just me.

But as I've said before, the ultimate decision should be yours. . .not what I, Matthies, Tienfenbr, US NEWS, or any one on this board says.  And again, I emphasize, VISIT.  Afterall, you are going to spend 3 years at the school.

I hope the weather during ASW is nice for you. . .right now I'm weariting flip flops one day and Ugg boots the next.  ???
3L @ University of Denver

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »

While  I wouldn't want to live in the actual city of Denver I would love living in South Denver, like Highlands Ranch, Columbine, Lone Tree. All those places are fantastic. It is also hard to comment on such personal statements, like the blanket statement that Boulder is the obvious best place to live. How many people live in Boulder, how many people live in Denver, I don't think it is as much of a forgone conclusion as you make it sound. In fact, the majority of people disagree.

Also, I don't think the school choice is a forgone conclusion either. If it was you wouldn't have people that get accepted to both going to Denver, which does happen.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2008, 12:55:01 AM »

While  I wouldn't want to live in the actual city of Denver I would love living in South Denver, like Highlands Ranch, Columbine, Lone Tree.

Too suburby for me - every place looks the same with an Applebee's on each corner. I like living downtown and in a house that is 125+ years old. I need the sireins and drunk mumbling bums to lull me to sleep at night. I just whish you could buy as much house downtown as you can out in the burbs for the same price!

While I agree that Highlands Ranch, Columbine, Lone Tree, Littleton, Aurora, etc are a bit suburby. . .I kind of think Denver is a subrby kinda city.  Well at least compared to Washington DC, Boston, Chicago, etc.  Anyway. . .I think kill the headlights has kids (??). . .which would make living south of Denver probably more reasonable/affordable.

Matthies, did you go to the RMLUI thing?  If so, how was it?  I love that we got an email about leftover food. :P
3L @ University of Denver

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2008, 01:05:37 AM »

I just thought that I would avoid some studying to chime in.  I live in Lone Tree!  

Overall, I like Lone Tree because it is pretty quiet, has good access to I-25, and the light rail.  Also if you like to ski I-70, Lone Tree is also close to C470 which dumps in to I-70

I take the light rail to class every day, which I really like because it gives me a chance to relax on the way to and from class, not having to worry about driving, or paying for $3+/gallon gas.  

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2008, 11:05:19 AM »
While I agree that Highlands Ranch, Columbine, Lone Tree, Littleton, Aurora, etc are a bit suburby. . .I kind of think Denver is a subrby kinda city.  Well at least compared to Washington DC, Boston, Chicago, etc.  Anyway. . .I think kill the headlights has kids (??). . .which would make living south of Denver probably more reasonable/affordable.

I am actually from Boston, though I haven't lived there for about 4 years. I love suburbs. I would never want to live in the actual city again. And I agree with the comment that Denver is a suburby city. The actual downtown area is really small, but suburbs and cookie-cutter houses extend forever. But, I like suburbs, so that is ideal for me.

I love Highlands Ranch and Lone Tree because the cities are planned out so well. When you make an entire city in 20 years you have the opportunity to plan it out right. I love the twenty feet of grass on the side of the roads, with the curvy sidewalks through the grass, I love the bike trails. It is a great place to live. Also, they have many Qdobas and Chipotles, and I could live on those fabulous burritos! And you get a much larger house for less money than within the city limits of Denver. And I like newer houses, I grew up in New England where all the houses are a hundred years old, so the new stucco houses are gorgeous to me.

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2008, 11:15:16 AM »
I am getting pretty excited for the open house. My wife and I are going to be leaving the kids with the in-laws so it will be a weekend getaway also. But I emailed the University of Colorado and they said the school is closed for that week. Bummer.

Anyway, any votes on where my wife and I should go out to eat: Maggiano's or The Cheesecake Factory?

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 09:03:27 PM »
If you're talking about eating out in Downtown Denver, I would suggest that you eat at neither establishment.  There are a ton of great local places in the area.  Anywhere on Larimer Square, or 15th through 18th and Market, anywhere on Blake.  Just plain avoid anywhere on 16th Street Mall.

if you're curious, go to www.westword.com and search the restaurant listings, you will not be disappointed.
Proving there is redemption in this world...