Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Denver  (Read 21514 times)

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
Re: University of Denver
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »
As you can probably see, I am still pending at Colorado. I thought tuition was 30K at Colorado and 18K for instaters, but I looked the other day and saw that it is 16 for instaters. So that is the equivalent of my scholarship at DU. And that is guaranteed for second and third year, instead of the 3.0 GPA requirement. So that would make it quite difficult to decide. I, like Kiwi, am going to probably decide, if I get to make the choice, at ASW. My wife and I are planning on heading up to CU to check it out then also. I lived in Denver for two years but never went North of I-70 :)  So I have no idea what Boulder is like.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

Kiwi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 02:14:48 PM »
I'm glad you made this.  It was getting cumbersome to check all those other threads every day.

Amen. Did you get a full-scholarship? You are the one that is definitely attending, right?

No, I didn't get a full one - I got 20k with a 3.0.  I'm about 80% sure that I'll end up going there, but I'm still holding out for a couple of schools.  I've been waitlisted at CU... 

I'll probably know for sure after the ASD 

The waitlist at CU sucks, I was on it twice, all the way up till the first week of classes at DU! Do they still make you send in those diffrent colored cards every few weeks that say you want to stay on the waitlist?

So far I've only gotten one yellow waitlist postcard.  I'll let you know what other pretty colors I get in the coming weeks  :)

As you can probably see, I am still pending at Colorado. I thought tuition was 30K at Colorado and 18K for instaters, but I looked the other day and saw that it is 16 for instaters. So that is the equivalent of my scholarship at DU. And that is guaranteed for second and third year, instead of the 3.0 GPA requirement. So that would make it quite difficult to decide. I, like Kiwi, am going to probably decide, if I get to make the choice, at ASW. My wife and I are planning on heading up to CU to check it out then also. I lived in Denver for two years but never went North of I-70 :)  So I have no idea what Boulder is like.

16k would be a great deal for law school.  I can see why that would be tempting for in-staters.  The conditional GPA requirement at DU makes me kind of nervous.  I'm planning on driving up to Boulder on the morning of the DU ASD.  I inquired about getting a tour that morning, but the school's not offering one because it's the week of their spring break.  Still, I think it'll be nice just to look around that area.  I've only been to the Denver/Boulder area once and it was just driving through.  I'm anxious to see the city. 
"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."  -Albert Pine

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 07:45:26 PM »
Boulder is cute. . .small hippie town.  Should take you 30-45mins to get there from Denver.

Happy Leap Day.
3L @ University of Denver

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 09:24:36 PM »
I just made a blog about a month ago. Those things are addictive. Does anyone know any great blogs? I have seen some law blogs but haven't been very impressed with any yet.

jcd10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 11:41:36 AM »
Though my MyWeb status is still Complete/Ready to Review, my account now has links for Registration, Housing, Study Abroad, Withdraw from DU, and more.

I called the Admissions Office to find out if a decision has been made, and the work-study told me a decision hasn't been made. He said I should expect a letter in the mail before the end of March. He also said DU doesn't send decision notifications through e-mail.

Does anybody want to chime in about what the MyWeb change means. Should I take the work-study at his word, or was he just reading me the Admissions Office's Talking Points?

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 11:49:20 AM »
i could be wrong, but i swear a number of people on here got emails notifying them of admission.....
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »
i just got my admissions email, so....

JD

jcd10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »

Ashley-

Were you accepted?!!

Did you notice a change in your MyWeb account? If so, what does your status say?

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »

Ashley-

Were you accepted?!!

Did you notice a change in your MyWeb account? If so, what does your status say?

yes, it was an acceptance email.

i knew a decision had been made when the "complete/ready for review" section disappeared from myweb app.  you will also note that the housing application allows you to sign up for housing if you've been admitted, but not for a day or so.

JD

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 08:04:54 PM »
you should really just look at the previous thread that is the first post on this thread. There is one called MyWeb on there. All these questions were answered.

I called when my status changed also. They said a decision had been made and that they don't give decisions by email. I got an email the next day saying I had been admitted, then two days later I go the snail mail. They day after I got the email I called and asked about scholarships and the lady said that my name was in the pile that was being reviewed but a decision hadn't been made. The next day (with my general acceptance letter) I got a letter marked two days before offering me a 15K per year scholarship.

So the moral of the story is that although the University of Denver's office of admissions people are very nice they don't seem to have all their information streamlined. I got a different answer from each person I called.