Law School Discussion

University of Denver

Re: University of Denver
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2008, 07:00:19 AM »
I finally found an apartment for next year and i'm beyond excited... Though it is nerve-wracking, as I have not seen the place in-person.

The complex is called The Covington at Cherry Creek and is only about three miles south of DU. For a 3rd floor, 1065sq.ft, 2bed/2bath place rent is around 880. Utilities aren't included, though :( I was seeking out a place with a good pet policy and a washer/dryer in unit, and The Covington has both. My sig. other is a pharmacist in the Denver area, and I will living/splitting rent with him, and am very thankful for that opportunity-- It's letting me cut back on my loan amount by about $400-500 each year, and every little bit helps.

Have any of you heard of this apartment complex before? I'm praying that I didn't just put a deposit on a total dump, but based on online reviews/photos it seems nice enough. Only three more months!!!  ;D

I'm stoked that it's biking distance from DU (and walking distance if I have extra time on my hands)

A couple of my friends lived & some still live in the Covington.  It is a pretty decent apt complex.  I'm not sure if it's walking distance though. . .at least I couldn't walk that far.  But then again, maybe I'm just too lazy or out of shape.   :P

6 miles of walking in one day (not counting misc. walking) IS a lot, so I doubt that your lazy or out of shape  ;) I'll definitely be biking more than walking... And come snowy winter, i'll be driving. I'm def. glad to hear that The Covington isn't dirty, disgusting, and poorly managed. Thanks for the reply :)

« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2008, 07:01:04 AM »
In by phone call this afternoon. Very excited!
Awesome!!!

kill the headlights

• ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »
I am getting pretty excited to come out. This summer is the first time in two years I will not be attending school so I am going to soak up all the free time I have, as I am only working 40 hours a week. It is amazing how working and going to school can make working only 40 hours a week feel like a vacation.

How did finals go. I would be very interested to see a final exam that a professor has administered. Does anyone have one? Clearly I mean an example one that teachers give out, not a stolen copy :) Also, are there any books that show example exams in law school? It would be a good summer read.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2008, 02:19:47 PM »
I am getting pretty excited to come out. This summer is the first time in two years I will not be attending school so I am going to soak up all the free time I have, as I am only working 40 hours a week. It is amazing how working and going to school can make working only 40 hours a week feel like a vacation.

How did finals go. I would be very interested to see a final exam that a professor has administered. Does anyone have one? Clearly I mean an example one that teachers give out, not a stolen copy :) Also, are there any books that show example exams in law school? It would be a good summer read.

well we got our apt assigned, its in cavalier over on gaylord st...supposedly walking distance from law school.  i HAVE to lose this muffin top   :P

Exams just started they don't end til the 15th, so we are in the thick of it now :)

kill the headlights

• ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2008, 09:14:03 AM »

Exams just started they don't end til the 15th, so we are in the thick of it now :)

That sucks. I was looking at the school schedule for next year and it looks like we get a month off for Christmas break--that will be sweet! But getting out of school in May will kind of suck. I have been done school for two weeks. But at my school now there is no spring break, so having one of those will be nice also.

« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »
I have a friend that lives in the Covington.  She really likes it...it's pretty nice, although I don't love the area it's in.  It is not within walking distance of DU.  I'm building a townhome in Lowry, which isn't walking distance either, but I LOVE the area. 
Question for one of the current students:  Do you part in the law lot?  Is it pretty easy to get a parking pass?  The website said that passes go on sale on May 20.  Thoughts?

I'm getting SO excited! I still have't decided whether I am going to take the summer preview course or not, and I'm stressing about what kind of computer to buy, but I AM PUMPED! 

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2008, 05:52:48 PM »

I think Gaylord is east of the school, near the off campus frat houses, maybe you will get cat-called on your way to school Ash  :P. Should not be a bad walk, so long as its not a blizzard. Buy some good snow proof walking shoes/boots

well we got our apt assigned, its in cavalier over on gaylord st...supposedly walking distance from law school.  i HAVE to lose this muffin top   :P

one can always hope!  i may even learn how to quote posts correctly  :P

« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2008, 11:10:31 PM »

I think Gaylord is east of the school, near the off campus frat houses, maybe you will get cat-called on your way to school Ash  :P. Should not be a bad walk, so long as its not a blizzard. Buy some good snow proof walking shoes/boots

one can always hope!  i may even learn how to quote posts correctly  :P

I had friends who lived in cavalier last year. . .it's a typical on campus style apt complex not far from campus.  I wouldn't go as far as to say it's ON campus but it's on the very edge if that makes sense.  It definitely is walking/biking distance.

« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2008, 11:13:19 PM »
Question for one of the current students:  Do you part in the law lot?  Is it pretty easy to get a parking pass?  The website said that passes go on sale on May 20.  Thoughts?

Buy it the day it comes out, or else you might be put on the waiting list, it gets sold out fast. Well worth it in crapp weather becuase its attached to the building.

My first year, I bought it during orientation.  The garage is SO convenient. . .except I stil don't understand why we can park on every floor except the one with direct access to the entrance.  Anyway, I would highly recommend buying it.

« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2008, 11:30:14 PM »

Now's probably not the best time to ask how finals are going.  In one word, I am EXHAUSTED.

Sample finals are available if you can log onto the law library website.  I think you can also google for some.  But as far as an example of ones I've taken, I don't have any.  They make us turn it in at the end of finals or make us destroy them (if it's a take home).

There are tons of books with example exams. . .Examples & Explanations, Emmanuels, Gilberts, just to name a few.  I know you're not going to listen to this advice but I would NOT read or worry about learning the law over the summer.  You'll get your fair share over the semester.  It doesn't help once school starts anyway because your professor might not even cover what you read.  I know you are excited about law school and might want to get a head start but honestly, taking a break & reading/doing something for fun probably will help more.  If you HAVE to read something law related, books like Getting to Maybe, Guerrilla Tactics to Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams, Law School Confidential, etc.