Law School Discussion

University of Minnesota 2011 -- The real U of M...

Papa Bear

• Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
Re: University of Minnesota 2011 -- The real U of M...
« Reply #200 on: July 11, 2008, 07:45:56 AM »
Okay, random question, but that suit thread made me curious: Does UMN make 1Ls wear a suit to orientation? Several schools do this.

Nope, no suits. :)

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2008, 05:40:39 PM »
Okay, random question, but that suit thread made me curious: Does UMN make 1Ls wear a suit to orientation? Several schools do this.

Nope, no suits. :)

Joy!  :)   Was there anything surprising about orientation? I know for UM undergrad, orientation was two fluff days and then one brutal day (12 hours I think) of speech after speech, session after session. I heard some kids whimper.

Papa Bear

• Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2008, 06:01:22 PM »
I remember several meetings, some "mandatory," some not. It really is important to go to the mandatory ones, even though you won't find it all helpful. I don't think it took an inordinate amount of time.

UMKb

« Reply #203 on: July 14, 2008, 01:09:57 PM »
Do you happen to remember what kind of information they covered during orientation?

« Reply #204 on: July 14, 2008, 01:47:11 PM »

2-3 Hour Bus ride?  from Brainerd to St. Paul?...I take the bus to work every day in downtown Minneapolis, and it usually works out perfectly.  I have co-workers who take the bus from Eagan and Edina to downtown and the ride won't exceed a half hour in the morning.  The bus system in the TC coupled with the light rail makes getting around pretty stress free.  9 miles?

Oh, I'm sorry if there was confusion.

I'm in Miami at the moment, I was talking about the buses down here. (I don't even know what/where Brainerd is.  :D) I'm sure the bus system in Minnesota isn't as decrepit as the Miami one.

Brainerd was featured in the film "Fargo."  Unfortunately, this film has forever tarnished the reputation of our lovely state, and left people deeply confirmed in the belief that if you're from Minnesota you talk like a complete doofus.

So, have you just been in Miami since you finished your UG?

« Reply #205 on: July 14, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »
I've been haunting the law school website hoping to get info about orientation. I saw a link to the Minnesota Justice Foundation pre-orientation service project. (here is the link) It looks interesting, and since I'm moving to Minneapolis on August 1st I'll be able to go. Anyone else planning to do this?

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #206 on: July 14, 2008, 07:44:14 PM »

2-3 Hour Bus ride?  from Brainerd to St. Paul?...I take the bus to work every day in downtown Minneapolis, and it usually works out perfectly.  I have co-workers who take the bus from Eagan and Edina to downtown and the ride won't exceed a half hour in the morning.  The bus system in the TC coupled with the light rail makes getting around pretty stress free.  9 miles?

Oh, I'm sorry if there was confusion.

I'm in Miami at the moment, I was talking about the buses down here. (I don't even know what/where Brainerd is.  :D) I'm sure the bus system in Minnesota isn't as decrepit as the Miami one.

Brainerd was featured in the film "Fargo."  Unfortunately, this film has forever tarnished the reputation of our lovely state, and left people deeply confirmed in the belief that if you're from Minnesota you talk like a complete doofus.

So, have you just been in Miami since you finished your UG?

I'm still in sunny Coral Gables, Florida (basically Miami) until August 1st. :)

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2008, 07:46:34 PM »
I've been haunting the law school website hoping to get info about orientation. I saw a link to the Minnesota Justice Foundation pre-orientation service project. (here is the link) It looks interesting, and since I'm moving to Minneapolis on August 1st I'll be able to go. Anyone else planning to do this?

Any word on what this year's project will be?

« Reply #208 on: July 14, 2008, 07:58:26 PM »

I emailed uofm@mnjustice.org and they said they'd email the available projects on July 17th. You designate your top three from the list. They didn't give any more detail than that yet.

UMKb

« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »

I emailed uofm@mnjustice.org and they said they'd email the available projects on July 17th. You designate your top three from the list. They didn't give any more detail than that yet.

Wow, this is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for. My last day of work is August 1st and I've been trying to figure out some law related volunteer project to keep busy before orientation. Thanks for providing the link!