Law School Discussion

University of Minnesota 2011 -- The real U of M...

Re: University of Minnesota 2011 -- The real U of M...
« Reply #190 on: July 03, 2008, 02:48:59 PM »
Yeah, that's what the article was about. The link works for me. I'm sure every school does stuff like that, but it just looks bad when it comes into public view.

I'm pretty impatient too. I would probably be going insane if I didn't have a lot of other things keeping me occupied.

Don't know if anyone else saw or posted this article, but I thought it was pretty embarassing for us. http://www.twincities.com/ci_9694883?nclick_check=1

The link didn't work, but I assume you're referring to the faulty 1$ donation ploy that the law school fundraising people sent out to alumni.  Yeah, that's unfortunate.

I wonder if the fundraising people were really under the impression that alumni participation is factor they use in the rankings.  I used to work as an "Alumni Donor Representative" when I was an ug at the U, and that was one of the ploys that we were told to hone in on.  The article did vindicate that participation rates were used in ug rankings, though.  I wonder how a story like that breaks?

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #191 on: July 03, 2008, 04:53:11 PM »

I think there might be a small convenience store, but I haven't really been into Dinkytown for probably 2 years other than to grab some quick, awesome pancakes at Al's Breakfast. If you really need a grocery store you can hop on one of the buses that go down 4th Street to Central/Hennepin and shop at the Lunds there. Not the cheapest place to buy groceries but whatever. Then just take the bus back - or they do offer free parking as well if you plan to drive. But if you're going to drive you could also go to the Rainbow at the Quarry -- which I hate because they always seem to be out of the food I want. Just my $0.02

Taking a bus to get groceries sounds is such a foreign concept to me. In my current city the public transportation is horrible -- you don't take a bus unless you're destitute. I can't think of anyone at my university that's taken a bus here.

I guess Minneapolis's transport system is a lot better.

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2008, 04:55:18 PM »
It's usually some poor saps in an exurban trailer park that get blown away by a tornado...I don't know if it's topography or what but major storm damage seems to bypass the cities themselves.

That's how it was when I lived in Kansas too. Wichita rarely got hit, except for the occasional trailer park.

Talk Is Cheap

• F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »

I think there might be a small convenience store, but I haven't really been into Dinkytown for probably 2 years other than to grab some quick, awesome pancakes at Al's Breakfast. If you really need a grocery store you can hop on one of the buses that go down 4th Street to Central/Hennepin and shop at the Lunds there. Not the cheapest place to buy groceries but whatever. Then just take the bus back - or they do offer free parking as well if you plan to drive. But if you're going to drive you could also go to the Rainbow at the Quarry -- which I hate because they always seem to be out of the food I want. Just my $0.02

you don't take a bus unless you're destitute.

This is a general rule anywhere...students just happen to typically fall into the destitute category.

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2008, 07:58:58 PM »

This is a general rule anywhere...students just happen to typically fall into the destitute category.
[/quote]

Nono, seriously. I've had friends walk 9 miles home instead of taking the bus because walking is more time efficient. The buses come when they want (f-the schedule apparently...) and you might have to change a buses up to 5 times to get where you're going. What's a 20 minute drive ends up being an 2-3 hour bus ride.  >:(

But back in Germany it was quite common/regular to take the bus.

« Reply #195 on: July 06, 2008, 10:17:11 AM »

Nono, seriously. I've had friends walk 9 miles home instead of taking the bus because walking is more time efficient. The buses come when they want (f-the schedule apparently...) and you might have to change a buses up to 5 times to get where you're going. What's a 20 minute drive ends up being an 2-3 hour bus ride.  >:(

But back in Germany it was quite common/regular to take the bus.
[/quote]

2-3 Hour Bus ride?  from Brainerd to St. Paul?...I take the bus to work every day in downtown Minneapolis, and it usually works out perfectly.  I have co-workers who take the bus from Eagan and Edina to downtown and the ride won't exceed a half hour in the morning.  The bus system in the TC coupled with the light rail makes getting around pretty stress free.  9 miles?

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2008, 10:27:34 AM »

2-3 Hour Bus ride?  from Brainerd to St. Paul?...I take the bus to work every day in downtown Minneapolis, and it usually works out perfectly.  I have co-workers who take the bus from Eagan and Edina to downtown and the ride won't exceed a half hour in the morning.  The bus system in the TC coupled with the light rail makes getting around pretty stress free.  9 miles?

Oh, I'm sorry if there was confusion.

I'm in Miami at the moment, I was talking about the buses down here. (I don't even know what/where Brainerd is.  :D) I'm sure the bus system in Minnesota isn't as decrepit as the Miami one.

UMKb

« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2008, 09:14:18 AM »
So, I started wondering why I hadn't received any of the orientation materials at the end of June, like I thought was stated in the letter that came with our mugs. I called the admissions office and was told that we aren't supposed to get anything until the end of July. I went back to look at the letter and email copy (wondering if I was already going crazy) and it definitely does say end of June. Grr.

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #198 on: July 10, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »
So, I started wondering why I hadn't received any of the orientation materials at the end of June, like I thought was stated in the letter that came with our mugs. I called the admissions office and was told that we aren't supposed to get anything until the end of July. I went back to look at the letter and email copy (wondering if I was already going crazy) and it definitely does say end of June. Grr.

The mug was nice though! Haha.  :D

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #199 on: July 10, 2008, 06:52:37 PM »
Okay, random question, but that suit thread made me curious: Does UMN make 1Ls wear a suit to orientation? Several schools do this.