Law School Discussion

University of Minnesota 2011 -- The real U of M...

Re: University of Minnesota 2011 -- The real U of M...
« Reply #180 on: July 02, 2008, 01:34:10 PM »
I'm pretty impatient too. I would probably be going insane if I didn't have a lot of other things keeping me occupied.

Don't know if anyone else saw or posted this article, but I thought it was pretty embarassing for us. http://www.twincities.com/ci_9694883?nclick_check=1

« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2008, 03:56:06 PM »
I'm pretty impatient too. I would probably be going insane if I didn't have a lot of other things keeping me occupied.

Don't know if anyone else saw or posted this article, but I thought it was pretty embarassing for us. http://www.twincities.com/ci_9694883?nclick_check=1

The link didn't work, but I assume you're referring to the faulty 1$ donation ploy that the law school fundraising people sent out to alumni.  Yeah, that's unfortunate.

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #182 on: July 02, 2008, 04:04:35 PM »
Uptown's where it's at! Dinkytown is not so much where it's at.

Live in Dinkytown if you: are under 23; were a member of a Greek organization in Undergrad; plan to never cook and always eat out (i.e. no grocery stores); Don't mind being surrounded by 90% Undergrads and all that that entails; Want to be within walking distance of college bars & restaurants.

Live in Uptown if you: are 23 and over, or mature for your age; Want to be surrounded by a diverse type group of people i.e. Young yuppies, Young hippies, Young blue-collar workers, Young artists and musicians, Grad students, non-white people, etc.; Want to be within walking distance of an enormous variety of bars & restaurants and shopping.

Pros of Dinkytown: Walking distance to class, or a 5 minute ride on the Campus Connector.
Cons of Dinkytown: Overpriced. Surrounded by Undergrads (some will consider that a Pro)

Pros of Uptown: Better value for your money, 10 minute express bus ride nearly directly to the law school's door (I think grad students can get reduced bus passes as well). Wide diversity amongst night-life options and neighbors.
Cons of Uptown: Maybe some people are averse to taking the bus? Other than that, there's really no cons to Uptown.

« Reply #183 on: July 02, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »
Yeah, that's what the article was about. The link works for me. I'm sure every school does stuff like that, but it just looks bad when it comes into public view.

The link didn't work, but I assume you're referring to the faulty 1$ donation ploy that the law school fundraising people sent out to alumni.  Yeah, that's unfortunate.

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2008, 07:21:39 PM »
Uptown's where it's at! Dinkytown is not so much where it's at.

Live in Dinkytown if you: are under 23; were a member of a Greek organization in Undergrad; plan to never cook and always eat out (i.e. no grocery stores); Don't mind being surrounded by 90% Undergrads and all that that entails; Want to be within walking distance of college bars & restaurants.

Live in Uptown if you: are 23 and over, or mature for your age; Want to be surrounded by a diverse type group of people i.e. Young yuppies, Young hippies, Young blue-collar workers, Young artists and musicians, Grad students, non-white people, etc.; Want to be within walking distance of an enormous variety of bars & restaurants and shopping.

Pros of Dinkytown: Walking distance to class, or a 5 minute ride on the Campus Connector.
Cons of Dinkytown: Overpriced. Surrounded by Undergrads (some will consider that a Pro)

Pros of Uptown: Better value for your money, 10 minute express bus ride nearly directly to the law school's door (I think grad students can get reduced bus passes as well). Wide diversity amongst night-life options and neighbors.
Cons of Uptown: Maybe some people are averse to taking the bus? Other than that, there's really no cons to Uptown.

Haha. I'll be in Dinkytown. It seriously has no grocery stores? Not a single one?  :o

Talk Is Cheap

• F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2008, 09:03:28 PM »

Cons of Uptown:

It's really not that diverse; it's a weekend spawning ground for suburban yupsters who want a safe three-hour getaway to "the city"; you might get tired of seeing all the broke 35-year-old Starbucks employees with Anthropology or Art History degrees walking around still trying to be hip, wear "counterculture" clothes and the like; it's quite busy and there are always useless people milling about wasting precious air...if that's your thing good for you; everyone there has a healthy dose of "Faux-Chic Urban Smug" even though they secretly all migrated there from West Haybale, MN three years ago and then started espousing the benefits of hemp and biodiesel; the other half are 25-year old, semi-reformed prepsters who want "the urban experience," who are still getting their rent paid by their parents.

But a lot of people tend to like it...I just think it's as clichéd and poseur as all those kind of "artsy" neighborhoods...the only thing about Uptown is everyone there wants so badly to deny it. That's Minneapolis as a whole for you, though...eternal identity struggle trying so hard to prove to itself and the rest of the country that we're not just a bunch of average Midwesterners. If you want MPLS city living without the BS, go to the south of Uptown...you can even still be on the same bus lines. If you're that keen on "diversity," move over north or to East Lake Street. Or better yet, move to St. Paul...they just don't care as much.

Actually, Uptown is fine, I just like to give Uptowners a really hard time...no hard feelings. But I still never hang out there.

Talk Is Cheap

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 02, 2008, 09:06:01 PM »

Haha. I'll be in Dinkytown. It seriously has no grocery stores? Not a single one?  :o

Yeah, Dinkytown really does play the flute...I would rant about it as well but I honestly haven't spent enough time there to make wild enough allegations.

It's quite possible to be a U student and never venture there, however.

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #187 on: July 02, 2008, 11:12:44 PM »

Cons of Uptown:
you might get tired of seeing all the broke 35-year-old Starbucks employees with Anthropology or Art History degrees walking around still trying to be hip, wear "counterculture" clothes and the like; it's quite busy and there are always useless people milling about wasting precious air...

Hilarity. :D

Next random question -- How often do you get Tornado watches/warnings in Minneapolis? I used to live in Wichita, so I'm used to them. We actually get a few in Miami.

Also, does the city typically have flooding?

Talk Is Cheap

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2008, 12:42:59 AM »

Cons of Uptown:
you might get tired of seeing all the broke 35-year-old Starbucks employees with Anthropology or Art History degrees walking around still trying to be hip, wear "counterculture" clothes and the like; it's quite busy and there are always useless people milling about wasting precious air...

Hilarity. :D

Next random question -- How often do you get Tornado watches/warnings in Minneapolis? I used to live in Wichita, so I'm used to them. We actually get a few in Miami.

Also, does the city typically have flooding?

You'll hear the storm sirens but a tornado has never hit the actual cities in my lifetime. We get some big thunderstorms from time to time...a few trees might get knocked down and cars get dinged with hail. That's about it. We don't get flooding, either...I can't think of any area that is actually close to the river-water level except for a few abandoned warehouse type joints downtown. Most of the city is on bluffs far above anywhere the river level could actually reach.

The biggest storm we get is the ol' "Winter Storm Warning" where you have to excavate your car from two feet of snow the next morning. But honestly the weather isn't really that bad...almost never destructive. It's usually some poor saps in an exurban trailer park that get blown away by a tornado...I don't know if it's topography or what but major storm damage seems to bypass the cities themselves.

UMKb

« Reply #189 on: July 03, 2008, 08:08:03 AM »
[/quote]

I think there might be a small convenience store, but I haven't really been into Dinkytown for probably 2 years other than to grab some quick, awesome pancakes at Al's Breakfast. If you really need a grocery store you can hop on one of the buses that go down 4th Street to Central/Hennepin and shop at the Lunds there. Not the cheapest place to buy groceries but whatever. Then just take the bus back - or they do offer free parking as well if you plan to drive. But if you're going to drive you could also go to the Rainbow at the Quarry -- which I hate because they always seem to be out of the food I want. Just my $0.02