Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Minnesota 2011 -- The real U of M...  (Read 33560 times)

jt2075

• View Profile
Re: University of Minnesota 2011 -- The real U of M...
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2008, 01:07:10 PM »
I'm actually in the exact same boat as you, Speedzie. I'm choosing between offers from UIUC and UMN. UIUC's offer has been a little nicer financially. Which way do you think you're going to go? Your signature indicates a lean toward UIUC...

tubey11

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2008, 04:48:34 PM »
Would someone be able to link geographic placement of U of M grads?

tubey11

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2008, 01:40:06 AM »
How many West Coast firms interview here? I'm pretty sure I'll want to come back to CA after I'm done, will a degree here carry very well?

Bump before the deposit deadlne Friday.

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2008, 10:09:41 AM »
Honestly, why don't you just call the career services office at UMN Law.
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

tubey11

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2008, 02:46:31 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, now please, post the number.

hawvaad2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2008, 05:09:59 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, now please, post the number.

Just because you say "please" doesn't necessarily mean that people will complete rather simple tasks for you.  Just go to the OneStop U of M Website and figure it out.  www.onestop.umn.edu...they'll at least point you in the right direction. 
Accepted: Minnesota
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Pending: Iowa, Wisconsin

jt2075

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »
I found this on another thread. The data is a little outdated because it's from 2005, but it might be slightly useful:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904900045

NLJ also posted a newer article (April 2008) about employment trends for recent law grads, but UMN isn't included. In case you're thinking about other schools, or are just curious:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904889529

Marc03

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »
I think any fears regarding UMN's placement numbers are unfounded.  But at the same time, you should be realistic.  It's a great school that is well respected throughout the midwest and is at least recognized by major firms in other larger markets.  There were two figures that stuck out to me when researching UMN - a) the relatively high clerkship percentage given their ranking (25% this past year) and b) 88% employment rate at graduation.  Whether they or cooked numbers or just plain misleading, 25% and 88% are very respectable.

If you are into a decent t1/high t2 that is in the region you want to work, then by all means take that offer.  If you are not sure where you are going to want to work, then I'd say that UMN at least offers you a bit of name recognition nationally.  I decided to eliminate UIUC mostly because they seem to be a Chicago market feeder school.  The part that scared me away the most, was the tales of only the top quarter getting top quality jobs with the rest seemingly taking what they could get.  If I had a desire to work in Chicago (which I do not) then I would certainly have already chosen UIUC as it is a great option for that goal.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am now deciding between Minnesota and SMU (friends and family in Dallas).  A lot of my decision will depend on whether or not my brother enjoys his Minnesota visit this week. 

Marc03

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2008, 11:06:37 PM »
Oh, and congrats on a great cycle there Marc03!  You and I have pretty similar numbers...  Hopefully all those jerkies with their high uGPAs won't know what hit them!   :D

haha, heard 'dat.

but seriously, thanks and big congrats to you too!  These are hard choices, but I'm grateful to have them.  I knew that SMU would be in there 'til the end since I love Dallas, but I had to narrow down UMN vs. UIUC and went with Minnesota in the end for a few reasons:
- I'm a bit older (26) so I didn't want to live in a small college town full of 19-21 year olds.  I enjoyed their company for the seven years (a little too much, obviously) I spent in undergrad ;).
- Minnesota is very conscious of the fact that they're out of the top 20 for the first time in a very long time and they have a brand new dean coming in July whose main focus for improving the ranking is centered around improving placement numbers (dolla dolla bills y'all) and national placements. This was as opposed to UIUC who does not have a dean at the moment and that scares me.
- He seems to have great ideas on improving the school and, in doing so, the rankings.  The prospect of possibly graduating from a school in the teens is always appealing.
- UIUC gave me more money (25k vs. 15k) but they're much higher cost of attendance (check newest numbers) made is pretty much a wash.
- Most importantly, however, is that if I attend UMN, my older brother will be attending there as well.  He was just accepted this past Friday and is visiting at the moment.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2008, 04:35:23 PM »
Does anyone know how quickly future 1L's will get their book lists/assignments?