Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Minnesota 2011 -- The real U of M...  (Read 33585 times)

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
Re: University of Minnesota 2011 -- The real U of M...
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2008, 02:07:57 AM »
My last was negative, so I will state a few positives about the school. The University does a great job recruiting faculty, and all of them are excellent. Many have had the opportunity to teach at the truly elite law schools or will in the future.

The clinics and moot court opportunities are great.

Your classmates will be very intelligent, and for the most part everyone tries to adopt a calm public persona and tries to avoid being an overt gunner (almost everyone is secretly though).

Finally, if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them (It may take till Sunday though)

Yeah, the outlook from that first post sucks. Way to make us all feel real good about starting this fall... ;D

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2008, 02:08:07 PM »
Yea. Great.  Shoulda taken that BLS scholarship after all, I guess.
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

mpk1516

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2008, 05:21:41 PM »
It's done.  I'm going.  Go Gophers!

(Of course, now I'm nervous that I'm making a horrible mistake and that I might end up living in Iowa for the rest of my life).

Anyway:  anyone have any good tips on Uptown apartment buildings?  Any general help on specific areas to live would be helpful.  3 blocks to the bus line would be ideal.

Uptown has a million apartment buildings, some are pseudo-slum-lordy and I know some people who have not been pleased with theirs...so you might want to view a wide variety of places just so you pick the place that's best for you. Lots of students live there but it's not as party-hearty as areas right next to the U, so that's a plus.

There are a lot of express buses that run down Lyndale and Hennepin Aves that will take you straight to the U, so if busing is a must that gives you a good means of transpo. I used to live outside of uptown, in the 40s on Grand Avenue in South Minneapolis, and could still catch one of those express buses and be at the U in like 20 minutes in the morning. So staying close to those main thoroughfares would be good for having easy and direct bus access to school.

Can you throw out a few of those apartment building names? Generally I'm hoping for one that isn't one of the slum-lordy type places. :)

UMKb

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2008, 07:18:57 PM »
Has anyone checked out how good the health insurance offered through the school is? Does that include dental?

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2008, 10:08:16 AM »
So...we're getting IBM/Lenovo computers, eh?  Good. Glad it's not Dell.
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

UMKb

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2008, 05:40:47 PM »

Ooooo...how'd you find that out? Did they send something out in the mail?

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2008, 10:06:23 PM »
Has anyone checked out how good the health insurance offered through the school is? Does that include dental?

I have insurance through the school. My family has (unfortunately) used it many times, and I have no complaints about the coverage. If you have a specific concern you probably ought to call them. Here's a link. And yes, it includes dental.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

UMKb

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2008, 11:20:32 PM »

Ooooo...how'd you find that out? Did they send something out in the mail?

Nevermind -- I finally made it to the U website and found it. Sounds like an OK computer...

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2008, 03:55:32 AM »
I got a big package in the mail today...I was kind of excited but it just contained copies of for-rent mags and all the info they already sent us in the mail. And a mug. Guess they didn't want to spring for a t-shirt?

tubey11

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2008, 06:17:23 AM »
How many West Coast firms interview here? I'm pretty sure I'll want to come back to CA after I'm done, will a degree here carry very well?