Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Could use your help! Info and chances for Penn State and other schools  (Read 568 times)

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello everyone.

I've applied to penn state dickinson school of law and was wondering if any of you had an opinion on my chances of getting in.  If anyone has some info on the school that would be awesome too.

I have a 161 on my lsat and a 3.21 gpa.  My extracurricular/work experience is better than average.  I've worked at a law firm in the summer and been involved in student/course unions at my school in executive positions (University of Toronto).   

I've also applied to seattle, syracuse, rutgers, buffalo, miami, florida, and seton hall.  If anyone has info on any of these schools or know my chances with my numbers that would be great if you could share.  Being an international student (Canadian) I only know what the books say and would value your opinions.

If there are other good schools you would recommend with my marks please let me know!

Thanks!
-thejacker112

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Could use your help! Info and chances for Penn State and other schools
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »
Hello, Canuck friend!

Here's some advice:  go to www.lawschoolnumbers.com

There, you can look up schools and see who has been admitted with scores similar to yours.

Off the top of my head, I think you have a pretty solid chance of getting in to Penn State.

Here are some other ideas in the general area you seem to be interested in:

Temple (in Philadelphia - better school and cheaper than Penn St. I think this would be a slight reach for you, but it's worth a shot)
Brooklyn (I think you'd get in)
Cardozo (in Manhattan - this would also be a reach, but again: worth a shot).

I also recommend you pick up the US News Top Law Schools book that's out.  It will really help you get a feel for what the best schools are and what schools are located in a geographic region that you might want to live in.

Good Luck!
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

whartonn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 04:34:30 PM »
Hello everyone.

I've applied to penn state dickinson school of law and was wondering if any of you had an opinion on my chances of getting in.  If anyone has some info on the school that would be awesome too.

I have a 161 on my lsat and a 3.21 gpa.  My extracurricular/work experience is better than average.  I've worked at a law firm in the summer and been involved in student/course unions at my school in executive positions (University of Toronto).   

I've also applied to seattle, syracuse, rutgers, buffalo, miami, florida, and seton hall.  If anyone has info on any of these schools or know my chances with my numbers that would be great if you could share.  Being an international student (Canadian) I only know what the books say and would value your opinions.

If there are other good schools you would recommend with my marks please let me know!

Thanks!
-thejacker112

You should be close to a lock at Penn State. You are 2 points above their 75% LSAT.

I think you might want to apply to some even higher ranked schools in the markets you want to be in. Maybe also apply to a few part-time programs at schools like Fordham or Cardozo.

beanie13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »
You have excellent chances at Penn State with $$$$. Good luck!

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:18:24 AM »
you guys/girls are all awesome.  thanks a lot for your help!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 10:13:28 AM »
Yeah, you have a great chance to get into PSU with money.  (And I agree with the one poster about applying to Temple and a few other select schools.)

Good luck!

dbourne

• View Profile
I'm in basically the same boat as you. I'm also Canadian (from Toronto) and I have almost the same scores as you do. I went to school here in the US, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes because my undergrad here is not as reputable as U of T up there.
I have a lot of soft factors like you do, so I pretty much blindly applied to a ton of schools since I had nothing to lose. Of course the rejections are now rolling in from T20 schools, but I think you have a great chance at Penn Dickinson, Miami, and a lot of other schools you applied to. Seton Hall has a very decent program that places grads into respectable NYC firms and has a great alumni network in the area (if that's where you want to work).

Realistically, not only are we (int'l students) up against highly qualified American students, our pool is much smaller and much more selective since we represent a very small group of applicants. We are up against students from all around the world, some of whom have incredible credentials. Add to that the factor of under-represented minorities and you can see why I am trying to be as pragmatic as possible.
Having said that, I don't think you need to fret. Your scores are well within the range for the schools you want to go to which means your soft factors will be important, and you have those. I hope you get to Penn State, best of luck to you. Maybe I'll see you in one of these schools.

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello friends.  I got into all the schools i listed above and have now withdrawn from most.  I'm deciding between: Rutgers-N and Penn State.  I've yet to hear from some of my reach schools but if i get into any of those (temple, hastings, illinois), i'll be going there.   

Anyone know whether PSU places better in philly than Rutgers?